Differential Equation for Projectile Motion with Air Drag

In summary, the conversation discusses how to create a differential equation for projectile motion on a 2D plane when air resistance is not negligible. The equations for the force in the x and y direction are shown, but corrections are made to account for the direction and magnitude of air resistance. Euler's method is suggested for approximating the coordinates of the projectile, and the importance of decomposing the velocity vector is emphasized. The correct equation for the force due to air resistance is given, and the reasoning behind it is explained. The conversation also discusses how to find the x coordinate of the projectile at a given time and how to find the acceleration using the force equation.
ChanYoung Park
Hi! I was wondering how I could come up with a differential equation for projectile motion on a 2D plane when air resistance is not negligible. I'm trying to guess the position of a projected ball at a certain time period by approximating the coordinates using the Euler's method.
Here, I would assume that I know the angle, mass, and initial force; θ, m and F are constants. What I modeled so far are the equations below, but I'm pretty sure that they're completely wrong. And I do not know how I could decompose x(t) and y(t) in terms of the time.$$F_x= Fcosθ - mg - kv_{x}^2$$
$$F_y= Fsinθ - mg - kv_{y}^2$$
$$\frac{dx}{dt} = v_x$$
$$\frac{dy}{dt} = v_y$$
$$\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2} = a_x$$
$$\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^2} = a_y$$Please help!

Likes Kninfinite
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the initial force is relevant here. This kind of problems starts after the projectile has an initial velocity, and the only forces present will be gravity and air resistance. Only the initial velocity (and position) matter. I have no idea at all what you mean with decomposing x(t) and y(t) in terms of the time.
With eulers method you start out with a position x(t), y(t) and velocity vx(t), vy(t), and you compute:

x(t+dt) = x(t) + dt * v(t)
y(t+dt) = x(t) + dt * v(t)
vx(t+dt) = vx(t) + ax
vy(t+dt) = vy(t) + ay
with the timestep dt something like 0.01s. repeat as often as needed.
To find a, you have to use the forces in x and y direction.

I think there are several things wrong here. First, gravity only acts downward, so it should not be present in both equations. Assuming the y-axis is up-down, then the mg term should only be in the Fy equation. Second, the air resistance depends on the square of the total velocity, and acts in the direction of the current velocity, so it should be decomposed as follows:
[tex]
F_x = k (v_x^2 + v_y^2)\frac{v_x}{|v|} = k (v_x^2 + v_y^2)\frac{v_x}{\sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}} = k v_x\sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} [/tex]

and similarly for Fy. This is the same as what you wrote if vx or vy is zero, but otherwise not.

willem2 said:
I don't think the initial force is relevant here. This kind of problems starts after the projectile has an initial velocity, and the only forces present will be gravity and air resistance. Only the initial velocity (and position) matter. I have no idea at all what you mean with decomposing x(t) and y(t) in terms of the time.
With eulers method you start out with a position x(t), y(t) and velocity vx(t), vy(t), and you compute:

x(t+dt) = x(t) + dt * v(t)
y(t+dt) = x(t) + dt * v(t)
vx(t+dt) = vx(t) + ax
vy(t+dt) = vy(t) + ay
with the timestep dt something like 0.01s. repeat as often as needed.
To find a, you have to use the forces in x and y direction.

Thanks for your reply! So the way I can get the x coordinate of the ball at t given the intial velocity vx is
#1. to find the velocity at time t+dt using:
$$v_{x}(t+dt)=v_{x}(t)+a_{x}\cdot{dt}$$
#2. then to get the x coordinate at time t by using:
$$x(t+dt)=x(t)+v_{x}(t)\cdot{dt}$$
and to find ax, I would need to use force equation which is...
$$F_{x}=ma_{x}=kv_{x}\sqrt{v_{x}^{2}+v_{y}^{2}}$$

...but as I think... is #1 necessary??

Last edited by a moderator:
phyzguy said:
I think there are several things wrong here. First, gravity only acts downward, so it should not be present in both equations. Assuming the y-axis is up-down, then the mg term should only be in the Fy equation. Second, the air resistance depends on the square of the total velocity, and acts in the direction of the current velocity, so it should be decomposed as follows:
[tex]
F_x = k (v_x^2 + v_y^2)\frac{v_x}{|v|} = k (v_x^2 + v_y^2)\frac{v_x}{\sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2}} = k v_x\sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} [/tex]

and similarly for Fy. This is the same as what you wrote if vx or vy is zero, but otherwise not.
Thanks for corrections! But I don't quite get what's happening with vx and vy.
Could you please explain me how it's being done?

Do you know how to decompose a vector into its components? What is the length of the vector v in terms of vx and vy, and how much of v points along x and how much along y?

I'd also say the EoM is
$$m \ddot{\vec{x}}=-m \vec{g} - C \vec{v} |\vec{v}|,$$
where ##m## is the mass of the particle, ##\vec{g}## the (constant) gravitational acceleration close to the surface of the Earth, and ##C## a constant related to the ##C_w## drag coefficient by
$$C=\frac{1}{2} C_w \varrho A.$$

phyzguy said:
Do you know how to decompose a vector into its components? What is the length of the vector v in terms of vx and vy, and how much of v points along x and how much along y?
Though what is the reason for decomposing the vector? Can't it be just Fx=kvx2?

ChanYoung Park said:
Though what is the reason for decomposing the vector? Can't it be just Fx=kvx2?

The force due to air resistance is always in the (negative) direction of the velocity vector. Quoting from Wikipedia, "In fluid dynamics, drag (sometimes called air resistance, a type of friction, or fluid resistance, another type of friction or fluid friction) is a force acting opposite to the relative motion of any object moving with respect to a surrounding fluid." With your proposed equation, this is not the case, and the air resistance would cause the projectile to change direction, not just slow down. This can happen if the projectile has a non-spherical shape, but I doubt if this is the case you want to analyze. As vanhees71 said, another way to write the drag force which ensures that it is in the same direction as the velocity vector, is [itex], F_D = -C \vec{v} |\vec{v}| [/itex]

Related to Differential Equation for Projectile Motion with Air Drag

1. What is a differential equation for projectile motion with air drag?

A differential equation for projectile motion with air drag is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a projectile (such as a ball or a bullet) in the presence of air resistance or drag. It takes into account the forces acting on the projectile, including gravity and air resistance, and uses calculus to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time.

2. How is air drag incorporated into the differential equation for projectile motion?

Air drag is incorporated into the differential equation for projectile motion by adding a term that represents the force of air resistance, which is proportional to the square of the projectile's velocity. This term is subtracted from the force of gravity in the equation, resulting in a non-linear differential equation.

3. What are the assumptions made in the differential equation for projectile motion with air drag?

The assumptions made in the differential equation for projectile motion with air drag include: a constant mass for the projectile, a uniform drag coefficient, a constant gravitational acceleration, and negligible effects of wind or air currents on the projectile's motion.

4. How can the differential equation for projectile motion with air drag be solved?

The differential equation for projectile motion with air drag can be solved using numerical methods, such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method, or by using analytical techniques such as separation of variables or Laplace transforms. These methods allow for the determination of the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time.

5. What are the applications of the differential equation for projectile motion with air drag?

The differential equation for projectile motion with air drag has many practical applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile in sports like baseball or golf, optimizing the design of projectiles for maximum distance or accuracy, and understanding the motion of objects in fluid environments like air or water. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and aerodynamics.