Question: Plasma, fluids, and stuff

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between gases, liquids, and plasmas, with a focus on the defining characteristics of a plasma. The amount of energy involved and the strength of interatomic forces are key factors in determining whether a substance is a gas or a liquid, while a plasma is an ionized gas with a high degree of energy. The discussion also raises the question of what happens when a substance transitions from a gas or liquid to a plasma.
Adam
Keep in mind I have not studied fluid dynamics or plasma stuff at all...

Now, both gases and liquids are fluids. Is a plasma an ionised gas, or an ionised fluid? The reason I ask is because the big difference between the gas and liquid forms of various things is the amount of energy. Is the amount of energy involved the deciding factor of whether something is a plasma or not? If you apply a charge to the neon in a light, it is a plasma. But what if that neon is cooled to liquid, then a charge is applied?

Basically I'm looking for a definition of plasma that covers the difference between liquid and gas.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Adam
Keep in mind I have not studied fluid dynamics or plasma stuff at all...

Now, both gases and liquids are fluids. Is a plasma an ionised gas, or an ionised fluid? The reason I ask is because the big difference between the gas and liquid forms of various things is the amount of energy. Is the amount of energy involved the deciding factor of whether something is a plasma or not? If you apply a charge to the neon in a light, it is a plasma.

either way to get it to a plasma state it will climb the phases to its superenergized form, but the correct termonology is ionized gas.

But what if that neon is cooled to liquid, then a charge is applied?
[/B]

i suppose it would energize to the next highest state before plasma, a gas. (depending on how much it is energized)

The reason I ask is because the big difference between the gas and liquid forms of various things is the amount of energy.
No, actually it's not -- the big difference is in strength of the interatomic (intermolecular) forces and the masses of the particles. Any particle of any gas or liquid will have 3/2 kT average thermal energy. If the interatomic forces are small and the particles lightweight (therefore with large thermal velocities), the substance will be a gas. If the interatomic forces are large and the particles massive (therefore with small thermal velocities), the substance will be a liquid. This is the reason that different substances occupy different phases at any given temperature.

- Warren

Last edited:
edit: woops

Excellent, thanks.

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is the fourth state of matter, in addition to solid, liquid, and gas. It is a gas-like substance that is made up of charged particles, such as ions and electrons.

2. How is plasma different from gases?

Plasma is different from gases because it is made up of charged particles, while gases are made up of neutral particles. Plasma can also conduct electricity and be affected by magnetic fields, which gases cannot.

3. What is the role of plasma in the human body?

In the human body, plasma is the liquid component of blood and makes up approximately 55% of our blood volume. It carries nutrients, hormones, and proteins throughout the body and helps to regulate body temperature.

4. Can plasma be found naturally on Earth?

Yes, plasma can be found naturally on Earth in the form of lightning, auroras, and the sun's corona. Additionally, plasma can be created in laboratories by heating gases to extremely high temperatures.

5. How is plasma used in technology and industry?

Plasma has a wide range of applications in technology and industry, including plasma TVs, fluorescent light bulbs, and plasma cutting and welding in manufacturing. It is also used in the production of semiconductors and in medical treatments like plasma sterilization and cancer therapy.