Differential equation book and topics

In summary, the book is used in many universities and is seen as a more rigorous way to teach differential equations. Some people find the writing style insulting.
Manaf
Hello,
I have got a book called " Differential Equations", by Paul Blanchard, Robert L. Devaney, and Glen R. Hall.
Here is the book: http://www.brookscole.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M2b&product_isbn_issn=0495012653&discipline_number=1
I am doing now some self-study on it,,,can you tell me please what you think of the book? and which topics do you recommend for the 2nd year in the university?
thanks alot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Manaf said:
Hello,
I have got a book called " Differential Equations", by Paul Blanchard, Robert L. Devaney, and Glen R. Hall.
Here is the book: http://www.brookscole.com/cgi-wadsworth/course_products_wp.pl?fid=M2b&product_isbn_issn=0495012653&discipline_number=1
I am doing now some self-study on it,,,can you tell me please what you think of the book? and which topics do you recommend for the 2nd year in the university?
thanks alot.

Rock and Roll! I'm a big believer of that book. They emphasized dynamics and qualitative analysis of differential equations and although some may argue texts of a more rigorous nature, it represents from what I've been told, a fundamentally new way of teaching differential equations. :smile:

Manaf said:
Hello,
Here is the book: http://www.brookscole.com/cgi-wadsw...duct_isbn_issn=0495012653&discipline_number=1
thanks alot.

Funny that you ask. About 2 weeks ago I was going to ask the same question because that is the same book that my school uses. What prompted my concern were some particularly harsh reviews of the second addition of that book on Amazon:

As an example one guy wrote:

"Horrible paedagogical dreck ... his book is a DE text for students who've had the misfortune to have been subjected to "reformed calculus"--- i.e., calculus without algebra. There is very little substance here, only high-school level chit-chat and "qualitative analysis" of nearly trivial problems. The writing style is insulting to anyone other than brain-dead pedagogs."

Of course a few Amazon reviews don't make and break a book but I was very curious to know if others had used it, and what their thoughts were.

Related to Differential equation book and topics

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It describes the rate of change of a system at any given point.

What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and solve a wide range of real-world problems, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. Some examples include calculating the trajectory of a projectile, predicting the spread of diseases, and analyzing population growth.

What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. SDEs incorporate randomness into the equations and are commonly used in finance and physics.

What are the methods for solving differential equations?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and the use of integrating factors. Other techniques include Laplace transforms, numerical methods, and series solutions.

Why is studying differential equations important?

Differential equations are essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems in various fields. They also provide a fundamental framework for developing mathematical models and analyzing real-world problems. Moreover, studying differential equations helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.