Differential cross section w.r.t rapidity

In summary: You are trying to normalize the distributions so that they represent the cross section. So if you have a histogram of momentum versus rapidity, you want to make sure that all of the events (in that histogram) correlate to the total cross section.
neu
I'm extracting data from a Monte Carlo sim. and i need to extract the differential cross-sections of the resultant protons and neutrons in momentum and rapidity space.

ie
[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dy}[/tex] ; [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dp}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2\sigma}{dydp}[/tex]

where I know the values of y and p (magnitude).

but how do I do it?

My attempts centre around [tex]\int{dy\frac{d\sigma}{dy}}=\sigma=\frac{Rate}{Luminosity}[/tex]

I know its simple but I'm confused

Physics news on Phys.org
Just out of interest: Which MC sim and what process? Generally: Could you just create a large number of events, extract the momenta and rapidities from the events, fill the values into a histogram and normalize to the total cross-section?

It's a Pythia MC sim of proton-antiproton collision.

Is this what you meant?
effectively [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dp}=\frac{\sigma_{total}}{p}[/tex] ?

as

[tex]\sigma_{total}=\int{dp\frac{d\sigma}{dp}}=\int{dy\frac{d\sigma}{dy}}[/tex]

so in that case [tex]\frac{d^{2}\sigma}{dydp}=\frac{d\sigma}{dy}\frac{d\sigma}{dp}=\frac{\sigma_{total}^{2}}{yp}[/tex]

This is what i have done but I have little confidence in my reasoning.

Uh... you might want to have another look at your 1st semester calculus book.

I know I've buggered it up. I'm not bad at calculus, but I have a lot of trouble with the seemingly "intuitive" steps like this and I get stuck in a rut.

could you just point me in the right direction?

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dp}\approx \frac{\Delta \sigma}{\Delta p}[/tex]

I believe what Timo was trying to explain was that. With the events normalized in such a way that they represent cross sections.

So, if you can get the rapidity and momentum out of the events somehow, make a histogram with that plots each event for a given rapidity (or momentum) and use the above once you have normalized so that the events correlate to the cross section.

I'm sorry I not quite getting it. I have obtained the momentum and rapidity distributions from the sim ie p versus number of events at p.

So what am I normalising? I don't understand. I only know the total cross section not [tex]\Delta\sigma[/tex]

could you be more explicit?

Related to Differential cross section w.r.t rapidity

1. What is the definition of differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity?

The differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity is a measure of the probability of a particle being produced in a particular rapidity range during a collision between two particles. It is calculated by dividing the number of produced particles in a rapidity range by the total number of collisions, and then dividing that by the width of the rapidity range.

2. How is rapidity different from velocity?

Rapidity is a measure of the distance between two particles in momentum space, while velocity is a measure of how fast a particle is moving in physical space. Unlike velocity, rapidity is not limited by the speed of light and can take on a wider range of values.

3. What is the role of differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity in particle physics?

The differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity is an important tool for studying the production and behavior of particles in high-energy collisions. It allows us to understand the distribution of particles in different rapidity ranges and provides information about the underlying physical processes.

4. How is the differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity experimentally measured?

The differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity is typically measured by detecting the particles produced in a collision and determining their rapidity values. This information is then used to calculate the differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity by dividing the number of particles in a rapidity range by the total number of collisions.

5. Can the differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity be used to study the properties of particles?

Yes, the differential cross section w.r.t. rapidity can provide valuable information about the properties of particles, such as their mass and spin. By studying the distribution of particles in different rapidity ranges, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.