Question about irred rep of SU(2) that factor by the covering map

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Map Su(2)
In summary, the double covering map φ SU(2) ---> SO(3) provides an irreducible representation of SU(2) on the same finite dimensional Hilbert space as any irreducible representation of SO(3) pulled back by φ. This representation is always irreducible, regardless of the dimension of the Hilbert space.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Let φ SU(2) ---> SO(3) be the double covering

Any irreducible representation of SO(3) pulls back by φ
to provide an irreducible representation of SU(2) on the
same finite dimensional Hilbert space.

this seems clear, almost not worth saying:
the pullback is obviously irred. and has the same dimension.

I have a question about the other direction----suppose an
irred. rep. of SU(2) factors thru φ

then it obviously gives a representation of SO(3), same space
same dimension and all, but

under what circumstances is the representation irreducible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by marcus

A simpler way to think about this is to note that the natural isomorphism SU(2)/Z2 ≅ SO(3) trivially induces an isomorphism between representations, but doesn't determine which ones. That, and in particular whether they're irreducible, is usually determined by the choice of space of objects on which they operate.

One interesting fact is that despite the way that switching corresponding reps will usually produce equivalent theories on the classical level, it will in general produce different theories on the quantum level. For example, they may differ in the spectra of their observables.

Last edited:

Originally posted by jeff
A simpler way to think about this is to note that the natural isomorphism SU(2)/Z2 ≅ SO(3) trivially induces an isomorphism between representations, but doesn't determine which ones. That, and in particular whether they're irreducible, is usually determined by the choice of space of objects on which they operate.

One interesting fact is that despite the way that switching corresponding reps will usually produce equivalent theories on the classical level, it will in general produce different theories on the quantum level. For example, they may differ in the spectra of their observables.

Jeff has not answered the question, which still stands as asked, namely when, under what conditions, is the representation obtained in this way irreducible?

I believe I have figured out the answer, but for the time being will leave the problem up, in case any mathematically inclined person here wants to think about it.

To restate it: Suppose there is an irreducible representation ψ of SU(2) which factors thru the covering map φ

That is, there exists a map σ such that the representation ψ = σφ

Then σ is a clearly a representation of SO(3) in the operators on the same Hilbert space, and the question is-----is σ irreducible?

If it is not always, what under what conditions will it be?

One possibility is that σ is always irreducible---this would require a proof. Another possibility is that it depends on the dimension of the Hilbert space.

Here's the original post for reference:

Last edited:

Jeff has not answered the question

Respectfully, I have, my point being that because representations may be trivially viewed as "identity functions" on their respective groups, and the special relation between SU(2) and SO(3), there's no real need to involve pullbacks etc. So yes, you can set up the same correspondence in both directions with a surjection in the one and an injection in the other, which is made obvious by the isomorphism I defined. But anything more about the corresponding reps is a matter of choice that depends on what you're doing with them. They're simply is no hard and fast rule about the nature of the reps that follows directly from the correspondence between their respective group manifolds.

I would appreciate very much being addressed personally.

This is not you're personal forum and you should know that I'm not going to be giving you any sort of free pass.

I don't know if anything will come of it, but you should also know that I've reported some of your posts to the administrator and will continue to do so until you stop reacting in such a manifestly inappropriate and unjustifiably personal and insulting way.

Last edited:
the answer is ALWAYS

I guess I've left this question up on the board long enough for anyone who wanted to try it to reply. No one has given the answer (although an attempt was made). So here is the
answer: ALWAYS.

If a irreducible representation of SU(2) factors thru the covering
the resulting map defined on SO(3)

(i) is a representation of SO(3) on the same vector space, and
(ii) is irreducible.

Jeff has not answered the question, which still stands as asked, namely when, under what conditions, is the representation obtained in this way irreducible?

I believe I have figured out the answer, but for the time being will leave the problem up, in case any mathematically inclined person here wants to think about it.

To restate it: Suppose there is an irreducible representation ψ of SU(2) which factors thru the covering map φ

That is, there exists a map σ such that the representation ψ = σφ

Then σ is a clearly a representation of SO(3) in the operators on the same Hilbert space, and the question is-----is σ irreducible?

If it is not always, what under what conditions will it be?

One possibility is that σ is always irreducible---this would require a proof. Another possibility is that it depends on the dimension of the Hilbert space.

I guess I've left this question up on the board long enough for anyone who wanted to try it to reply. No one has given the answer (although an attempt was made). So here is the
answer: ALWAYS.

If a irreducible representation of SU(2) factors thru the covering
the resulting map defined on SO(3)

(i) is a representation of SO(3) on the same vector space, and
(ii) is irreducible.

Yes, that's true. In this case, we chose an SO(3) vector space and the action of an IR upon it. But these choices were not determined by the mapping between the two lie groups.

Last edited:
When does an irred rep of SU(2) factor thru the covering?

We seem to be on a roll here. Here is another question related to representations which kind of follows up on the previous one.

When does an irredicible representation of SU(2) factor through the covering map φ?

Hints, discussion etc: As before the answer might be "always" or it could depend on something, like the dimension of the vector space of the representation.

To spell the question out in more detailed fashion, if
ψ is an irreducible representation of SU(2) on a vector space V of dimension n, then under what circumstances can one say that there exists an irreducible representation σ of SO(3)
such that

ψ = σ φ

where φ denotes the double covering.

We seem to be on a roll here. Here is another question related to representations which kind of follows up on the previous one.

When does an irredicible representation of SU(2) factor through the covering map φ?

Hints, discussion etc: As before the answer might be "always" or it could depend on something, like the dimension of the vector space of the representation.

To spell the question out in more detailed fashion, if
ψ is an irreducible representation of SU(2) on a vector space V of dimension n, then under what circumstances can one say that there exists an irreducible representation σ of SO(3)
such that

ψ = σ φ

where φ denotes the double covering.

The answer is NOT ALWAYS but only when the dimension of the vector space is odd.

(I'm answering because this has been up for a day or so, just for closure.)

Again, we agree. I took your question to be about conditions on the map between the two manifold groups. My answer was that it doesn't matter.

The reason for the mix up is that the answer to the question that you actually asked was so mind-numbingly obvious, it didn't occur to me that it was a question anyone who understands group theory would ever ask.

Last edited:

Originally posted by jeff
Again, we agree. I took your question to be about conditions on the map between the two manifold groups. My answer was that it doesn't matter.

The reason for the mix up is that the answer to the question that you actually asked was so mind-numbingly obvious, it didn't occur to me that it was a question anyone who understands group theory would ever ask.

Your question on 6-13 in the SO(3)+LQG thread:

Originally posted by jeff on 6-13
Here's a question inspired by various posts above.

In LQG spin networks, are equal integer spin IRs (irreducible representations) of SU(2) and SO(3) interchangeable?

Last edited:

Your question on 6-13 in the SO(3)+LQG thread:

The point of that question isn't mathematical, it's physical. My question was whether there is a physical reason that such exchanges of representations may not be allowed in LQG. Such exchanges are usually allowed on the classical level, but not on the quantum level. For example, the spectra of observables could change, suggesting that in this case the area operator should be scrutinized.

1. What is the irreducible representation of SU(2) that factors by the covering map?

The irreducible representation of SU(2) that factors by the covering map is the fundamental representation, also known as the spin-1/2 representation. This representation is denoted by D1/2 and is defined by a 2x2 matrix. It is the smallest irreducible representation of SU(2) and describes the spin of particles in quantum mechanics.

2. How is the covering map related to SU(2)?

The covering map is a surjective homomorphism that maps the universal cover of SU(2) to the group itself. In other words, it is a map that "wraps" the universal cover of SU(2) around the group. This map is important because it allows us to understand the structure of SU(2) and its representations.

3. What does it mean for a representation to be irreducible?

A representation is irreducible if it cannot be broken down into smaller representations. In other words, there are no non-trivial subspaces that are invariant under the action of the group. In the case of SU(2), the irreducible representations are important because they describe the different possible states of a quantum mechanical system with spin.

4. How is the irreducible representation of SU(2) used in physics?

The irreducible representation of SU(2) has many applications in physics, particularly in the study of quantum mechanics and particle physics. It is used to describe the spin of particles and the symmetries of their interactions. It is also used in the construction of gauge theories, such as the Standard Model, which describe the fundamental forces of nature.

5. What other groups have irreducible representations that factor by the covering map?

The covering map and its associated irreducible representations are not unique to SU(2). Other groups, such as SU(3) and SO(3), also have irreducible representations that factor by the covering map. These representations are important in their respective fields, such as in the study of color charge in quantum chromodynamics for SU(3) and in the description of angular momentum in classical mechanics for SO(3).