Different ways of solving for x in trig. equations

• Thread starter Attis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary: So to summarize, in solving trigonometric equations, it is important to remember the trigonometric identities and understand the difference between expressions like ##\sin^2 x## and ##\sin 2x##, which have different meanings and cannot be used interchangeably. It is also important to understand the effect of placing a number in front of a trigonometric function, as it can change the amplitude or frequency of the graph.
Attis

Homework Statement

According to my math book, I solved the following trig equation correctly:
1)
cos3x=0,500=
3x = 60° + n360°
x=20+n120°

2)I also solved this problem correctly:
4sin^2x -3sin^x= 0
sinx(4sinx-3)=0
x=n*360°
or
4sinx=3
sinx=3/4
x= ca. 49°
x=49° + n360° or 131+ n360°.

Now I´m wondering why I can´t solve question nr 1) in the following way:
cosx = 0,500/3
x=80°
x=80° + n360°

i.e. why can´t I solve question nr 1 the way I did question nr 2?
I was also wondering if sin2x is the same as 2sinx? does it make a difference where I place the 2?

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Physics news on Phys.org
Attis said:

Homework Statement

According to my math book, I solved the following trig equation correctly:
1)
cos3x=0,500=
3x = 60° + n360°
x=20+n120°

2)I also solved this problem correctly:
4sin^2x -3sin^x= 0
sinx(4sinx-3)=0
x=n*360°
or
4sinx=3
sinx=3/4
x= ca. 49°
x=49° + n360° or 131+ n360°.

Now I´m wondering why I can´t solve question nr 1) in the following way:
cosx = 0,500/3
x=80°
x=80° + n360°

Because (in general) ##\cos nx \neq n\cos x##. In fact the expressions for different values of ##n## higher than 1 (like ##n=2## and ##n=3##) are important trigonometric identities.

i.e. why can´t I solve question nr 1 the way I did question nr 2?

In no. 2, you're just factoring out the ##\sin x##. That's completely valid. ##\sin^2 x## is the conventional shorthand for ##(\sin x)^2##. This is the square of the sine of angle ##x##. This is completely different from ##\sin 2x##, which is the sine of the angle ##2x##.

I was also wondering if sin2x is the same as 2sinx? does it make a difference where I place the 2?

Huge difference, just like for the cosine.

Likes 1 person
Curious3141 said:
Because (in general) ##\cos nx \neq n\cos x##. In fact the expressions for different values of ##n## higher than 1 (like ##n=2## and ##n=3##) are important trigonometric identities.

In no. 2, you're just factoring out the ##\sin x##. That's completely valid. ##\sin^2 x## is the conventional shorthand for ##(\sin x)^2##. This is the square of the sine of angle ##x##. This is completely different from ##\sin 2x##, which is the sine of the angle ##2x##.

Huge difference, just like for the cosine.

Perfect. Now I get it! thanks a lot!

Attis said:
Check out the graphs:

cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427efi199hvhk6&f=HBQTQYZYGY4TSM3EMI3WENBTHAYDCNBVGU3DEMTEGA4GEMZXGEZAaaaa.gif

To put a 2 in front of sin x is to double the amplitude. To put a 2 in front of the x in sin x is to double the frequency.

Wolfram Alpha is great for stuff like this.

Likes 1 person
Fredrik said:
Check out the graphs:

cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427efi199hvhk6&f=HBQTQYZYGY4TSM3EMI3WENBTHAYDCNBVGU3DEMTEGA4GEMZXGEZAaaaa.gif

To put a 2 in front of sin x is to double the amplitude. To put a 2 in front of the x in sin x is to double the frequency.

Wolfram Alpha is great for stuff like this.

Ok, thanks for explaining!

Related to Different ways of solving for x in trig. equations

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation for x?

To solve a trigonometric equation for x, you need to use algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions or a calculator to find the value of x.

2. What are the different methods for solving trigonometric equations?

There are several methods for solving trigonometric equations, including factoring, using trigonometric identities, and using the quadratic formula. The method you use will depend on the type of equation and the given information.

3. How do I know which method to use when solving a trigonometric equation?

You can determine which method to use by analyzing the equation and the given information. For example, if the equation is in quadratic form, you can use the quadratic formula. If there are trigonometric identities present, you can use those to simplify the equation.

4. Can I use my calculator to solve trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve trigonometric equations, but you should be familiar with the algebraic steps involved in solving the equation. Also, be sure to check your calculator's mode and unit settings to ensure your answers are in the correct form.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric equations more efficiently?

Yes, here are a few tips for solving trigonometric equations more efficiently: use trigonometric identities to simplify the equation, be familiar with common trigonometric values and special triangles, and check your answers by plugging them back into the original equation.