Different ways of solving a problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a mathematical task for middle school to early high school students that can be solved in at least five different ways. One example given is finding the perimeter of a sequence of hexagons, with one possible solution being 4n+2 where n is the number of hexagons. Other solutions involve counting edges, multiplying by 2 and adding 2, or using linear regression. Another problem suggested is adding all the numbers from 1 to 1000, which can be solved by re-ordering the numbers and finding an explicit equation. The goal is to promote creative thinking and learning in students by providing them with a task that has multiple solutions.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have an unusual question to the mathematicians here, and I hope that this is the right forum (if not, please move it to the appropriate board).

I am trying to come up with a mathematical task, from the Algebra field (middle school - early high school level), which can be solved in various ways (at least 5 various ways).

I will give you an example. In the attached photo, you see hexagons. The task is to find the perimeter in each stage (one hexagon, two hexagons, etc... up to many hexagons) assuming that the length of an edge is 1. This gives an arithmetic series.

One possible solution is to count how many edges are in the perimeter, to get a series (6, 10, 14, etc...), and from the series to realize the solution is 4n+2 where n is the number of hexagons. Another way of solving is to count the upper edges, to multiply by 2 and to add 2, it also gives the same answer. A third way can be multiplying the number of hexagons by 6 and reducing the common edges twice. A fourth way, although not suitable for middle school, is linear regression.

I need to come up with a similar idea, anything in middle school algebra (including functions, series, , probability and statistics - anything but geometry), which students can approach in at least 5 different ways and get to the same answer.

I am thinking about this for several days, but have no ideas. Can you please assist me with creative ideas ? The purpose of this assignment is educational, to give this task to kids to work on together, where they will come up with different ideas and learn from each other.

Any help is mostly appreciated !

View attachment 6175

Attachments

• hexagons.JPG
    hexagons.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 77
Physics news on Phys.org
How about this problem: add all of the numbers 1,2,3,...,1000.

You could take it at face value and add them sequentially

You could re-order them to get 1000+(1+999) + (2+998) + ... and sum them up that way

You could re-order them in the same way but recognise how the series will terminate
to get 1000+(1+999) + (2+998) + ... +(499+501)+500 = 1000 + 499*1000+500

You could re-order them in another way
to get (1+1000)+(2+999) + (3+998) + ... +(500+501) = 500*1001

You could generalise the problem to n and find an explicit equation:
\(sum=\frac{n(n+1)}2\)

Thank you Kiwi, that's a very good idea ! Definitely will be considered among the top ideas. If you have other ideas for to choose from, it will be great. The only problem with your idea, is that for some students it may be slightly too hard, but again, I find it good and will consider using it.

I had an idea of solving a system of two equations. However, I wish to get 5 different solutions, and I so far found only 3 for solving a system: Isolating one variable, subtracting one equation from another after multiplying, and graphically (we assume that in middle school matrices and Cramer rule are out of the question).

With edge length 1, each hexagon has circumference 6 so 6 hexagons have total circumference 6n. But you are not counting the sides between two hexagons. With n hexagons, there are n-1 line between them and those each count for two hexagons. So the total perimeter for n hexagons, connected like that, is 6n- 2(n-1)= 4n+ 2.

another way of looking at it: for the "internal hexagons" there are 4 sides because we are not counting the two attached the connected hexagons. For the two end hexagons, there are 5= 4+1 sides because we have to count the "end" sides. So there are 4 for every hexagon plus the 2 ends: 4n+ 2.

As a check, for 1 hexagon that is 4+ 2= 6, for 2 hexagons, 8+ 2= 10, for 3, 12+ 2= 14, for 4, 16+ 2= 18. Compare those to your examples shown.

HallsofIvy,

Thank you for the nice explanation. The hexagons problem is solved (was solved before I posted it), I am looking for a "similar" problem.

1. What is the importance of considering different ways of solving a problem?

Considering different ways of solving a problem allows for a more comprehensive and effective approach. It opens up the possibility of finding a solution that may be more efficient, cost-effective, or innovative.

2. How do you determine the best way to solve a problem?

The best way to solve a problem depends on the specific situation and context. One approach could be to gather all relevant information, analyze it, and then weigh the pros and cons of each potential solution. It may also be helpful to consult with others and consider their perspectives.

3. Can different ways of solving a problem be combined?

Yes, different ways of solving a problem can be combined to create a hybrid solution. This can be especially useful when one approach alone may not fully address the problem or when one approach complements another.

4. What are some common obstacles in finding different ways to solve a problem?

Some common obstacles include rigid thinking, lack of creativity, and fear of failure. It can also be challenging to think outside of one's comfort zone or to consider solutions that may go against conventional wisdom.

5. How can you encourage a team to brainstorm different ways of solving a problem?

To encourage a team to brainstorm different ways of solving a problem, it is important to create a safe and open environment where all ideas are welcome. Utilizing techniques such as mind mapping, role-playing, or reverse brainstorming can also help stimulate creative thinking. It is also essential to listen actively and value all contributions from team members.