Different lengths of time between the same two events

• Thread starter myoho.renge.kyo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Events Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the sunset occurring on October 23, 2006, at longitude E 0.0 and latitude N 0.0 at 17:48 and the same location at the same time on October 24, 2006. The length of this period of time is stated to be 86400 seconds. The conversation also delves into the concept of time measurement using different clocks and their synchronization, as well as the effects of velocity on time measurement. The values of t, t', t", and T are all discussed, with t being measured using a stationary clock at the North Pole, t' being measured using a clock at longitude E 0.0 and latitude N 0.0,
myoho.renge.kyo
the sun set on october 23, 2006, at longitude E 0.0 and latitude N 0.0 at 17:48, and it set on october 24, 2006, at the same location at 17:48. let's say that the length of this period of time t is 86400 s.

let's say that i am stationed at longitude E 0.0 and latitude N 0.0, and that i actually measure the period of time t = 86400 s with a clock next to me. i could change the tick-rate of my clock, so that the period of time between the two said sunsets is t' = 2*t, or change the tick-rate of my clock, so that the period of time between the two said sunsets is t" = 0.5*t.

--------------------------------

let the blue clock be a clock situated at the north pole of the earth.

let the red clock be a clock situated at longitude E 0.0 and latitude N 0.0.

let the white clock be a moving clock, moving directly away from the center of the Earth with a velocity v = 0.5*c.

let the three clocks synchronize when they where at rest relatively to each other.

let t be the length of the period of time between the said two sunsets, measured using the blue clock (i am stationed at the north pole, next to the blue clock).

let t' be the length of the period of time between the said two sunsets, measured using the red clock (i am still stationed at the north pole, next to the blue clock).

let t" be the length of the period of time between the said two sunsets, measured using the white clock (i am still stationed at the north pole, next to the blue clock).

and let T be the length of the period of time between the said two sunsets, measured using the white clock (but this time i am moving along with the white clock next to me).

what would be the value of t, t', t", and T, and how did you arrived at those values? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is homework, but it looks like it belongs here for now.

Related to Different lengths of time between the same two events

1. How can the length of time between two events impact their relationship?

The length of time between two events can greatly affect their relationship. A shorter time period between events may suggest a closer connection or correlation, while a longer time period may indicate a weaker or more distant relationship.

2. What factors can influence the length of time between two events?

There are many factors that can influence the length of time between two events. These can include external factors such as environmental changes or societal shifts, as well as internal factors such as personal choices and decision-making processes.

3. How can we measure the length of time between two events?

The length of time between two events can be measured in various units, such as seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, or years. It can also be measured in terms of specific events or occurrences, such as the number of times a behavior is observed or the frequency of a particular event.

4. Can the length of time between two events vary?

Yes, the length of time between two events can vary greatly. It can be consistent and predictable, or it can be sporadic and unpredictable. It can also change over time, depending on the circumstances and factors involved.

5. How can understanding the length of time between two events be useful?

Understanding the length of time between two events can be useful for various reasons. It can help us make informed decisions, identify patterns or trends, and better understand cause-and-effect relationships. It can also assist in planning and predicting future events.