Different FRW Cosmological Models

In summary, the conversation discusses the characteristics of different Universe Models and how the blanks in the table should be filled in depending on these characteristics. The models include ρο/a4 with a flat curvature (k=0) and do not include ρο/a3 and Λ. The conversation also touches on the eventual fate of the universe in question, with the options being exponential or polynomial expansion. It is noted that exponential expansion does not necessarily mean inflation. The importance of including the value of k and Λ in the table is also mentioned.
QuarkDecay
TL;DR Summary
A chart of 10 different Cosmological Models is given. It contains information about the density, the curvature and their cosmological constant.
Need to put 1 or 2 "x" in the last 4 columns. One for t→0 and one for t→∞
ρο/a4ρο/a3kΛΒig BangBig CrunchPolynomial ExpansionExponential Expansion
x0>0
x+1
x+1
x0<0
x-1
x-1>0
x0
x+1>0
x0<0

Space news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question?

No it's not homework question. Don't remove it from this category please, because I think that's the best category for this. It's what I read in my book but I couldn't find where the answers are supposed to be.

The left part of the columns describes the characteristics of the Universe Model, and depending on these, it's supposed to be filled with 1 or 2 "x" on the right part.
For example, the Universe of the first row has a ρο/a4 with flat curvature (k=0). ρο/a3 and Λ are not filled in because they don't exist for this specific model.

I know that for the ρο/a4 (which is the ρr) was bigger during the Big Bang phase. So I suppose that there must be an "x" on the Big Bang column. But I'm not sure about the k=0 after that, and what are the two expansions supposed to mean? Expotential expansion= inflation? Polynomial expansion = the "normal" expansion rate we currently have?

QuarkDecay said:
the Universe of the first row has a ρο/a4

What does "has a ##\rho_0 / a^4##" mean?

PeterDonis said:
What does "has a ##\rho_0 / a^4##" mean?
I'm sure it's talking about a radiation-dominated universe, where the density scales as ##1/a^4##.

QuarkDecay said:
The left part of the columns describes the characteristics of the Universe Model, and depending on these, it's supposed to be filled with 1 or 2 "x" on the right part.
For example, the Universe of the first row has a ρο/a4 with flat curvature (k=0). ρο/a3 and Λ are not filled in because they don't exist for this specific model.

I know that for the ρο/a4 (which is the ρr) was bigger during the Big Bang phase. So I suppose that there must be an "x" on the Big Bang column. But I'm not sure about the k=0 after that, and what are the two expansions supposed to mean? Expotential expansion= inflation? Polynomial expansion = the "normal" expansion rate we currently have?
It's asking what the eventual fate of the universe in question is. Will it expand forever, or will it recollapse? If it expands forever, what will the function ##a(t)## look like? Will it be a polynomial like ##a(t) = t^b##, or will it be exponential like ##a(t) = e^{bt}## (where ##b## is some constant in either case)?

And no, exponential expansion does not mean inflation. Inflation has near-exponential expansion, yes, but it's not the only way to get exponential expansion.

BTW, you might want to check the LaTeX guide link near the bottom of this page.

Edit: Also, ##k## and ##\Lambda## always exist. It's probably not saying they don't exist, but rather that their values are zero in those cases.

Likes QuarkDecay
Oh! And some of the answers are "it's ambiguous", meaning it depends upon the specific numbers.

kimbyd said:
I'm sure it's talking about a radiation-dominated universe

Yes, you know that, and I know that, but I want to see if the OP knows that.

Related to Different FRW Cosmological Models

1. What is an FRW cosmological model?

An FRW cosmological model is a mathematical description of the evolution of the universe based on the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker (FRW) metric. It is a type of cosmological model that is based on the assumption that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales.

2. What are the key differences between different FRW cosmological models?

The key differences between different FRW cosmological models lie in the values of the parameters used to describe the universe, such as the matter density, dark energy density, and curvature. These parameters can vary in different models, resulting in different predictions for the evolution of the universe.

3. How do FRW cosmological models explain the expansion of the universe?

FRW cosmological models explain the expansion of the universe through the use of the Friedmann equations, which describe how the scale factor of the universe changes with time. The expansion is driven by the matter and energy content of the universe, as well as the curvature of space.

4. Can FRW cosmological models be tested or verified?

Yes, FRW cosmological models can be tested and verified through observations of the universe. For example, the cosmic microwave background radiation, the large-scale structure of the universe, and the redshift of distant galaxies can all provide evidence for or against different FRW cosmological models.

5. Are there any limitations to FRW cosmological models?

Yes, there are some limitations to FRW cosmological models. For instance, they do not take into account the effects of dark matter and dark energy, which are believed to make up a significant portion of the universe. Additionally, they do not explain the initial conditions of the universe or the existence of structures such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.