Different forms of linear equations

In summary, the two forms of linear equations, a x + b y = c and y = m x + c, are equivalent to each other. However, the coefficients and constants in the equations must be numerically different for the equations to be truly equal.
Beam me down
A while back in maths we were introduced to the linear equation in two forms:

[tex]a x + b y = c[/tex] (1)

[tex]y = m x + c[/tex] (2)

Now I can use both forms of these, but I was told that:

[tex] y = m x + c \Leftrightarrow a x + b y = c [/tex]

where [tex]m = \frac{a}{b} [/tex]

Thiis can't be right can it? As:

[tex]a x + b y = c [/tex]

[tex] b y = c - a x [/tex]

[tex] y = \frac{c}{b} - \frac{a x }{b}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously the c's in equations 1 and 2 are not the same. They cannot be as you have demonstrated.

Using [tex] y = \frac{c}{b} - \frac{a x }{b}[/tex]

and [tex]y = m x + d[/tex],

then m = [tex]-\frac{a}{b}[/tex] and

d = [tex]\frac{c}{b}[/tex]

Astronuc said:
Obviously the c's in equations 1 and 2 are not the same. They cannot be as you have demonstrated.

Thanks. My teacher was saying the two forms are the same (ie: at least "c" in both equations are the same). I couldn't prove it, and nor could she, and we both forgot about it.

Both equations represent a line, but the coefficients must be numerically different.

Basically, one is dividing all terms in (1) by the coefficient (b) of y, and to be equal, the m = - (a/b) and c in equation 2 must be c/a, so the c's must be different.

Related to Different forms of linear equations

1. What are the different forms of linear equations?

The three most common forms of linear equations are standard form, slope-intercept form, and point-slope form.

2. How do I convert an equation from standard form to slope-intercept form?

To convert from standard form to slope-intercept form, you can use the following steps:

1. Isolate the y variable on one side of the equation.
  2. Divide both sides of the equation by the coefficient of the y variable.
  3. If necessary, simplify the fraction.
  4. The resulting equation will be in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. What is the difference between point-slope form and slope-intercept form?

The main difference between point-slope form and slope-intercept form is that point-slope form uses a specific point and slope to define the line, while slope-intercept form uses the slope and y-intercept to define the line.

4. Can you graph a linear equation in standard form?

Yes, you can graph a linear equation in standard form. To graph a linear equation in standard form, you can use the following steps:

1. Isolate the y variable on one side of the equation.
  2. Find the x and y intercepts by setting y = 0 and solving for x, and setting x = 0 and solving for y.
  3. Plot these points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a straight line to create the graph of the equation.

5. How do I determine the slope of a linear equation?

The slope of a linear equation is represented by the coefficient of the x variable. In slope-intercept form, the slope is equal to the coefficient of x. In standard form, you can find the slope by rearranging the equation to solve for y and then dividing the coefficient of x by the coefficient of y.