Different equations for Electric Energy, me understand

In summary: This conversation is about the difference between two equations related to electric potential energy and how they are used to describe different situations. The first equation describes the potential energy of a charged particle in an external electric field, while the second equation describes the energy stored in a capacitor. Although they may seem similar because they both involve the charge Q, they are actually describing different scenarios. The second equation is derived from the first by considering the movement of a small charge dq within a capacitor. This understanding can help clarify the confusion about why there are two different equations for seemingly the same thing.
Armand1
I've been reading recently about Electric Potential Energy and when introduced with the following situation of two charged plates (one (-) and the other (+)) and a charged particle between them I've been taught the following equation.

a) U=E/Q ⇔ E=QU

However now when I'm reading about a capacitor the equation for the stored electric energy in the capacitor is

b) E= (QU)/2

But how is this possible? A capacitor is to my understanding exactly what I've described above, two charged plates. So how come there is a different equation for the same thing?

For references I've read equation a) in Heureka A page 215 and b) in Heureka B page 180. The books are written in Swedish. I am very grateful for any help I can get to help me understand.

P.S I've been searching for the same question without luck so I believe it was appropriate to post this thread

Physics news on Phys.org

These two equations do not describe the same thing. The first one describes the potential energy of some particle (of charge Q) in some external electric field. The second describes the energy stored in a capacitor; Q is the charge stored in that same capacitor, not of some unrelated particle.

Thanks voko, I think i got it!

Very well. Keep in mind, though, that the second equation is obtained from the first one. It is done by considering some small charge dq that has to be moved from one plate to another. Assuming that the capacitor already holds some charge q, the potential difference is u = q/C; the energy required to move the small charge dq from one plate to another is then dE = u dq = q dq/C; this is the first equation. Integrating this we obtain E = Q^2/(2C) = QU/2.

I can provide an explanation for the different equations for electric energy in this situation. The first equation (a) is the equation for electric potential energy, which is the energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. This equation shows that the electric potential energy (U) is equal to the electric field (E) multiplied by the charge (Q) of the particle. This equation is used when considering the energy of a single charged particle in an electric field.

On the other hand, the second equation (b) is the equation for the stored electric energy in a capacitor. A capacitor consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied to the plates, they become charged with opposite charges. The energy stored in a capacitor is equal to the work done to charge the capacitor, which is given by the equation E = (1/2)QU. This equation takes into account the fact that the capacitor has two plates and the energy is shared between them, hence the factor of 1/2.

Therefore, the two equations are not contradictory but rather represent different concepts. Equation (a) is for the energy of a single charged particle, while equation (b) is for the energy stored in a capacitor. It is important to note that both equations are valid and can be used depending on the specific situation being considered. I hope this helps clarify the confusion.

Related to Different equations for Electric Energy, me understand

1. What is electric energy?

Electric energy is the energy that is carried by electric charges. It is the energy that is used to power electrical devices and is created when electric charges flow through a conductor.

2. What are the different equations for electric energy?

There are several different equations that can be used to calculate electric energy, depending on the specific situation. Some common equations include P = VI (power equals voltage times current), E = Pt (energy equals power times time), and W = QV (work equals charge times voltage).

3. How do I understand these equations for electric energy?

To understand these equations, it is important to have a basic understanding of electrical concepts such as voltage, current, power, and energy. It may also be helpful to practice solving problems using these equations and to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

4. Can these equations be applied to different types of circuits?

Yes, these equations can be applied to different types of circuits, including series circuits, parallel circuits, and combination circuits. However, the specific values for voltage, current, and resistance may vary depending on the circuit configuration.

5. How are these equations used in real-world applications?

These equations are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating the amount of energy used by household appliances, determining the power output of electrical generators, and designing electrical systems for buildings and vehicles. They are also used in the field of renewable energy to optimize the efficiency of solar panels and wind turbines.