Different EMFs joined in parallel

• Thread starter Tanishq Nandan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary, the problem at hand is to find the currents (I1, I2, I3) through three branches in a circuit with three different EMFs connected in parallel. The Kirchoffs Voltage Law (KVL) and Ohm's Law (V=I.R) are used to solve the problem, along with the assumption that the voltage difference across a conducting wire is zero. The attempt at a solution involves labeling the parts of the circuit and applying KVL to a loop. The use of Nodal Analysis and Millman's Theorem are suggested as other methods to solve the problem. The final answer for the node voltage is 95/12, which results in the correct values for I1, I2,
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

We need to find I1,I2,I3 (current through all the three branches)
20170617_113748-1.jpg

Homework Equations

I know that if emfs *of same value* are connected in parallel,then they can be replaced with a single emf of that same value,and that's where the problem comes in.There are 3 emfs,all of different values connected in parallel.
As far as the rest of the curcuit goes,
▪KVL (Kirchoffs Voltage Law):Sum of potential drops across a closed loop is zero
▪V=I.R
▪Voltage difference across conducting wire=0

The Attempt at a Solution

20170617_115300-1.jpg

You'll forgive me if the diagram's a little crowded.Basically,I assumed potential to be 0 at a point for reference purposes, and then labelled all other parts of the circuit corresponding to that.

Now,as I said in the last line of the previous section,

▪Voltage difference across conducting wire=0
That means that V(at A)=V(at B)=V(at C)
(Assumin I1 as x,I2 as y,I3 as z)
That would give us our first set of equations:
8-x=9-2y=10-3z

Now,applying KVL in loop ABEF,
8-(8-x)+(9-2y)-9=0
However,on solving these equations,I ain't getting the right answer.

Help appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use nodal analysis. Write the KCL equation for the left node (junction of three resistors) in terms of the node voltage. Assume the negative terminal node of the batteries at 0V. The only unknown in the equation will be the node voltage.
Tanishq Nandan said:
I know that if emfs *of same value* are connected in parallel,then they can be replaced with a single emf of that same value,and that's where the problem comes in.
Try Millman's theorem.
https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&s...ghLMAQ&usg=AFQjCNG4avVDzT7lW-BIJoffcDhKHjqD5Q.

Likes Tanishq Nandan
It is easier for me to work out the problem than to see you you where you went wrong. Also it would be easier for me to see whether I went wrong if you had given the answer which apparently you know.

Yes, essentially as cnh says, you seem to realize that the voltage, we'll call it V, at A, B and C has to be the same despite the differing battery EMFs. From that I would work out the currents I1, I2, I3 in terms of V: their sum equals the current through the 6 Ω resistor, which gives you an equation with only V as unknown . I get for V, 95/13 ≈ 7.3 V is that what it's supposed to be?

epenguin said:
I get for V, 95/13 ≈ 7.3 V
95/12,and yes,it's giving the corect answer for I1,I2 and I3.
Thanks.

Likes epenguin
Thanks for the link to this theorem.It's awesome,but the answer coming from it is SLIGHTLY different (95/11 whereas it should be 95/12).
Is this expected or did I do something wrong?
But,still,thanks!
cnh1995 said:
You can use nodal analysis. Write the KCL equation for the left node (junction of three resistors) in terms of the node voltage. Assume the negative terminal node of the batteries at 0V. The only unknown in the equation will be the node voltage.

Try Millman's theorem.
https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&s...ghLMAQ&usg=AFQjCNG4avVDzT7lW-BIJoffcDhKHjqD5Q.

Tanishq Nandan said:
95/12,and yes,it's giving the corect answer for I1,I2 and I3.
Thanks.

Yes /12 not /13, I can't add up. :redface:

But was important to realize it was in the right ballpark - there is a lot of conductance than those three parallel branches.

Related to Different EMFs joined in parallel

1. What are EMFs?

EMFs, or electromagnetic fields, are a type of energy that is created by electrically charged objects. They can be found in nature, such as the Earth's magnetic field, or created by human-made sources, such as power lines and electronic devices.

2. What does it mean for EMFs to be "joined in parallel"?

When EMFs are joined in parallel, it means that they are connected in a circuit where the voltage is the same across each component. This allows each EMF to operate independently, unlike when they are connected in series where the voltage is divided between components.

3. What are the advantages of joining EMFs in parallel?

Joining EMFs in parallel allows for more efficient and effective use of energy. It also allows for greater control over the individual components, as each EMF can be turned on or off independently.

4. Are there any risks associated with EMFs joined in parallel?

While EMFs themselves are not harmful, there can be risks associated with their sources, such as exposure to high levels of radiation from power lines or cell phones. However, properly installed and maintained EMFs joined in parallel should not pose any additional risks.

5. How are EMFs joined in parallel used in scientific research?

EMFs joined in parallel are commonly used in research to study the effects of electromagnetic fields on living organisms. This allows scientists to control and manipulate the specific EMFs being studied, as well as their intensity, to better understand their potential impacts on health and the environment.