Differences between Powder, Pellet, and Thin Film Forms

• Thread starter Viswanath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between powder form, pellet form, and thin film. The speaker, a PhD research scholar, is seeking clarification on why they are preparing a powder instead of a thin film for their project on metal-oxide based transparent thin film transistors. They also express a lack of knowledge in this area and ask for book recommendations to improve their understanding.
Viswanath
I'm PhD research scholar, can anybody explain the difference between powder form, pellet form and thin film.

Physics news on Phys.org
Viswanath said:
I'm PhD research scholar, can anybody explain the difference between powder form, pellet form and thin film.

This is puzzling.

First of all, please note PF requirements that the thread title be descriptive.

Secondly, doesn't the NAME tells you already the difference? One is a "powder", the other is a "pallet", and the last one is a "thin film"! You never describe the criteria you are trying to study to seek the differences.

Thirdly, those description are also vague. You neglected to explain the nature of those material, i.e. is this a single-crystal power? Is the thin film polycrystalline or single-crystal, etc... etc.

These are the types of DETAILED description that a PhD research scholar should be aware of and be able to supply when seeking a discussion.

Zz.

Dear ZapperZ,
Basically, I'm an Electronics engineering student, but I joined as project fellow in Applied Physics department for the project " Design & fabrication of metal-oxide based transparent thin film transistor". So I'm not much aware of these concepts. Now I'm preparing SnO powder, but I don't have clarity why I'm preparing powder instead of thin film, just following supervisor instructions. Can you suggest any books to improve the concepts of this project.

Related to Differences between Powder, Pellet, and Thin Film Forms

What are the differences between powder, pellet, and thin film forms?

Powder, pellet, and thin film forms are different physical forms of materials that can have various applications in different industries.

What is powder form?

Powder form is a solid state of matter that consists of fine particles that are loose and can easily be separated from each other. It is typically produced by grinding or crushing a material into small particles.

What is pellet form?

Pellet form is a small, solid, cylindrical or spherical shape of a material. It is typically produced by compressing or forming a material into a specific shape and size. Pellets are commonly used in industries such as agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and plastics.

What is thin film form?

Thin film form is a layer of material that is typically less than a micrometer thick. It is usually produced by depositing a material onto a surface through processes such as evaporation, sputtering, or chemical vapor deposition. Thin films have a wide range of applications, including in electronics, solar cells, and optical coatings.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each form?

Powder form is advantageous for its ease of handling and storage, but it can be difficult to accurately measure and can create dust hazards. Pellet form is advantageous for its uniform shape and size, but it can be more expensive to produce and may require specialized equipment for handling. Thin film form is advantageous for its thickness control and large surface area, but it can be challenging to produce and may require high-temperature processes. The choice of form depends on the specific application and requirements of the material.