Differences Between Ordinary and Steel Epoxy Adhesives for Steel Materials

• Thread starter Blue Scallop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Epoxy Steel
In summary, the difference between ordinary epoxy (A + B) adhesive and steel epoxy (A + B) adhesive is that steel epoxy contains steel while ordinary epoxy does not. This was discovered when using steel epoxy to glue a magnet to a flashlight, which flowed along the magnet due to its weak ferrous properties. Clear epoxies do not have this quality.
Blue Scallop
how is ordinary epoxy (A + B) adhesive differed to steel epoxy (A + B) adhesive in so far as steel is concerned?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Blue Scallop said:
how is ordinary epoxy (A + B) adhesive differed to steel epoxy (A + B) adhesive in so far as steel is concerned?
Uh ... one has steel and the other doesn't?

I was quite surprised when I found out that there even IS such a thing as steel epoxy but I had been using one for years called "JB Weld". I found out because I used it to glue a magnet to a flashlight and damned if it didn't flow along the magnet just as thought it was weakly ferrous, so I checked the ingredients and yep, it has steel in it. Regular old clear epoxies don't.

phinds said:
damned if it didn't flow along the magnet just as thought it was weakly ferrous
Just saw this video on Facebook -- strange! (Not JB Weld, but still)...

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Differences Between Ordinary and Steel Epoxy Adhesives for Steel Materials

1. What is the difference between ordinary and steel epoxy adhesives?

The main difference between ordinary and steel epoxy adhesives lies in their composition and strength. Ordinary epoxy adhesives are typically made with organic compounds and are designed for general purpose bonding. On the other hand, steel epoxy adhesives are specifically formulated with steel materials in mind and are much stronger and more durable.

2. Can ordinary epoxy adhesives be used on steel materials?

While ordinary epoxy adhesives can technically bond to steel materials, they are not as strong or long-lasting as steel epoxy adhesives. It is not recommended to use ordinary epoxy adhesives for steel materials as they may not provide a secure and reliable bond.

3. What benefits do steel epoxy adhesives offer over ordinary epoxy adhesives?

Steel epoxy adhesives offer several benefits over ordinary epoxy adhesives, including a stronger bond, increased durability, and resistance to corrosion and extreme temperatures. They are also specifically designed for use with steel materials, ensuring a secure and long-lasting bond.

4. Are there any limitations to using steel epoxy adhesives?

Like any adhesive, steel epoxy adhesives do have some limitations. They may not bond well to certain types of plastics or non-ferrous metals, and they require adequate surface preparation for the best results. Additionally, they may not be suitable for use in high-stress or high-vibration applications.

5. How do I properly apply steel epoxy adhesive to steel materials?

To ensure a strong and effective bond, it is important to follow the instructions for the specific steel epoxy adhesive you are using. Generally, the surface should be clean and free of any dirt, oil, or debris. The adhesive should be evenly applied to both surfaces and allowed to cure for the recommended amount of time before any stress is applied to the bond.