Difference wave mch. and field operators.

In summary, the difference between field operators and wave mechanics operators is that they operate in different spaces and have different commutator rules. In second quantization, the fields are the operators and the kinetic and potential energies are complex coefficients. The roles are reversed from first quantization. The commutator between a field operator and a kinetic energy operator does not make sense, as the kinetic energy operator should be expressed in terms of the field operators first. To show that [N,T] = 0, one must use the commutator relation and extract the proper terms.
Sigurdsson
Hi there

I've recently started studying quantum field theory and I'm trying to understand the field operators.

One thing that bugs me is the difference between field operators and wave mechanics operators. For instance, let's take the kinetic energy operator in wave mechanics for a single particle
[tex] T_1(\mathbf{r}) = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \nabla^2 + V_1(\mathbf{r}) [/tex]
And then we have the standard field operator, usually written as
[tex] \psi(\mathbf{r}) = \sum_k c_k u_k(\mathbf{r}) [/tex]
where [itex]c_k[/itex] are lowering and raising operators from single particle QM and [itex]u_1(\mathbf{r})[/itex] are single particle wavefunctions in state [itex]k[/itex].

I've been told that they are two totally different things. But I'm not sure in what manner. For example, what would their commutator give?

Cheers,
S

Physics news on Phys.org
The field operators create (or annihilate) particles in the position eigenstates. In second quantization the fields are the operators and the kinetic and potential energies are complex coefficients. The roles are in some sense reversed from first quantization.

I'm not really sure what you are asking about the commutator. Are you asking what [tex] [\nabla^2,\psi(\mathbf{r})] [/tex] gives? I don't think this commutator makes sense, since the field operators are operators in an abstract occupation-number Hilbert space (they depend on the creation and annihilation operators) whereas the kinetic energy operator in first quantization is an operator in a Hilbert space of complex wave functions. If one wants to calculate the commutator of a field operator and the kinetic energy operator, the kinetic energy operator should be expressed in terms of the field operators first.

Yes yes, this is exactly what I'm wondering about. It's part of understanding why [itex][N,H] = 0[/itex] where
[tex] H = T + V = \int d^3 r \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) T_1(\mathbf{r}) \psi(\mathbf{r}) + \frac{1}{2} \iint d^3r \ d^3r' \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}') V_2(\mathbf{r}, \mathbf{r}')\psi(\mathbf{r}') \psi(\mathbf{r}) [/tex]
[tex] N = \int \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi(\mathbf{r}) \ d^3r [/tex]

Let's just focus on the kinetic term
[tex] [N,H] = [N,T] + [N,V] = 0 [/tex]
[tex] [N,T] = \left[ \int \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi(\mathbf{r}) \ d^3r \ , \ \int \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}') T_1(\mathbf{r}') \psi(\mathbf{r}') d^3 r' \right] [/tex]
[tex] = \iint d^3r d^3 r' \left[ \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi(\mathbf{r}) \ , \ \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}') T_1(\mathbf{r}') \psi(\mathbf{r}') \right] = \iint d^3r d^3 r' T_1(\mathbf{r}') \left[ \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi(\mathbf{r}) \ , \ \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}') \psi(\mathbf{r}') \right] [/tex]

I've already verified that
[tex] \int d^3r \ \left[ \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi(\mathbf{r}) \ , \ \psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}') \psi(\mathbf{r}') \right] = 0 [/tex]

Which means that everything fits if I can allow myself to extract [itex]T_1(\mathbf{r})[/itex] from the commutator. This means that in Fock space the wave mechanical operators commute for Fock states (or don't act on them, I'm confused what this means) whereas second quantization operators don't necessarily commute.

You cannot just extract [itex]T_1[/itex] from the commutator. To show that [itex][N,T] = 0[/itex], you can use, for example, the commutator relation [tex][AB,C]=A[B,C]+[A,C]B[/tex] and once you get commutator terms like [tex]\psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}')[\nabla'^2 \psi(\mathbf{r}'),\psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi (\mathbf{r})][/tex] then you can extract the [itex]\nabla'^2[/itex], since the other field operators in the commutator depend on [itex]\mathbf{r}[/itex], not on [itex]\mathbf{r}'[/itex]. Finally after using the commutation relations for the field operators, you get two canceling terms, and thus [itex][N,T] = 0[/itex].

Last edited:
Hmmmm... I think I get what you're saying there. If I get terms like
[tex] \left[ \frac{\partial^n}{\partial x^n} , f(x') \right] [/tex]
then this is automatically vanishes because I'm differentiating with respect to another variable?

Yes, those commute, but that commutator makes sense only if the two operators operate in the same space. What I mean is that you can write, for example,
[tex]\psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}')[\nabla'^2 \psi(\mathbf{r}'),\psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi (\mathbf{r})]=\psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}')\nabla'^2[\psi(\mathbf{r}'),\psi^\dagger(\mathbf{r}) \psi (\mathbf{r})][/tex]
and further use the commutator relation to prove that [itex][N,T] = 0[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to Difference wave mch. and field operators.

1. What is the difference between wave mechanics and field operators?

Wave mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of particles and waves in quantum mechanics. Field operators, on the other hand, are mathematical operators used to describe the behavior of fields in quantum field theory.

2. How do wave mechanics and field operators relate to each other?

Wave mechanics and field operators are closely related, as both are used to describe the behavior of particles and fields in quantum physics. Wave mechanics can be seen as a subset of field operators, as it is used to describe the behavior of particles as waves in a single particle theory.

3. Can you give an example of wave mechanics and field operators in action?

An example of wave mechanics in action is the Schrödinger equation, which describes how a particle's wave function evolves over time. Field operators are used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of particles as excitations of underlying fields, such as the electromagnetic field in quantum electrodynamics.

4. How do wave mechanics and field operators contribute to our understanding of quantum physics?

Both wave mechanics and field operators are essential tools in understanding the behavior of particles and fields in quantum physics. They provide a mathematical framework for describing phenomena at the subatomic level and have allowed scientists to make accurate predictions and develop new technologies.

5. Are there any limitations to using wave mechanics and field operators?

While wave mechanics and field operators have been incredibly useful in understanding quantum physics, they are not without limitations. They are both based on mathematical models and may not fully capture the complexity of quantum phenomena. Additionally, there are still unanswered questions and ongoing research in these areas to further refine our understanding.