Difference of two types of recursive functions

In summary, a partially defined recursive function is defined on a subset of the set it is intended to operate on, while a totally defined recursive function is defined on the entire set. The domain of any partial recursive function can be shown to be the range of some total recursive function, where the domain of the partial function must be non-empty. This is demonstrated by defining a bijection $p$ between natural numbers and ordered pairs, and using it to construct a total recursive function $g$ that includes all elements in the domain of the partial function. The set of all words in a one-letter alphabet can represent natural numbers, and the concept of terms in a signature can be understood through logic or universal algebra. It is not possible for the empty
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I want to show that the domain of any partially defined recursive function is equal to the range of some ( totally defined ) recursive function.

I haven't understood which is the difference between a partially defined recursive function and a totally defined recursive function? Could you explain it to me? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
After looking it up on "Wikipedia", I would say that a "partially defined" function is a function that is only defined on a subset of the set on which we would like it to be defined. In particular, a "densely defined" function is one that is defined on a subset that is dense in the given set so that it can be extended to the entire set.

I haven't understood which is the difference between a partially defined recursive function and a totally defined recursive function?
The recursivity (=computability) is not important here. A partial function means what it means in other areas of mathematics: such function is defined on a subset of some standard set, while a total function is defined on the whole set. One book calls the domains of algorithms "ensembles of constructive objects". The precise definition is probably impossible as it is for sets. Some standard examples of such ensembles are words in some alphabet and trees labeled by an alphabet. Then one considers computable functions that are represented by algorithms. As domains of computable functions we consider ensembles of constructive objects or sets that they represent. For example, the set of all words in a one-letter alphabet represents natural numbers. Most books consider just some fixed standard sets, like natural numbers or terms in some signature, as domains of total computable functions, and functions that are not defined on the whole set are called partial.

As for the showing that the domain of any partial recursive function is the range of some total recursive function, first note that we must stipulate additionally that the domain of the partial function is nonempty; otherwise the statement is false. Consider a partial recursive function $f$ and suppose $f(x_0)$ is defined. Fix some algorithm $A$ that computes $f$. Let $p:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{N}\times\mathbb{N}$ be a bijection (for example, the inverse of the Cantor pairing function). For an arbitrary $k\in\mathbb{N}$ let $(m,n)=p(k)$. Then define $g$ as follows.
\[
g(k)=
\begin{cases}
m,&A(m)\text{ terminates within }n\text{ steps}\\
x_0,&\text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
\]

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Then one considers computable functions that are represented by algorithms.

Are all the computable functions represented by algorithms?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
For example, the set of all words in a one-letter alphabet represents natural numbers.

Could you explain to me why the set of all words in a one-letter alphabet represents natural numbers?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
terms in some signature

You mean restrictions of some set of words?
Evgeny.Makarov said:
As for the showing that the domain of any partial recursive function is the range of some total recursive function, first note that we must stipulate additionally that the domain of the partial function is nonempty;

So this means that the empty set cannot be the range of a totally defined recursive function? If so, why?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Consider a partial recursive function $f$ and suppose $f(x_0)$ is defined. Fix some algorithm $A$ that computes $f$.

Do we know that there is such an $A$ since $f$ is recursive and so there is a Turing machine that computes it?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Let $p:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{N}\times\mathbb{N}$ be a bijection (for example, the inverse of the Cantor pairing function). For an arbitrary $k\in\mathbb{N}$ let $(m,n)=p(k)$. Then define $g$ as follows.
\[
g(k)=
\begin{cases}
m,&A(m)\text{ terminates within }n\text{ steps}\\
x_0,&\text{otherwise}
\end{cases}
\]

Could you explain to me further the definition of $g$ ? I haven't really understood it...

evinda said:
Are all the computable functions represented by algorithms?
Yes, by definition.
evinda said:
Could you explain to me why the set of all words in a one-letter alphabet represents natural numbers?
People have always counted this way.

evinda said:
You mean restrictions of some set of words?
For terms of some signature, see Wikipedia. If you have never encountered these concepts in logic or universal algebra, you may skip this example.

evinda said:
So this means that the empty set cannot be the range of a totally defined recursive function? If so, why?
If, for example, the domain of $f$ is $\mathbb{N}$, then the range (i.e., image) contains $f(1)$.

evinda said:
Do we know that there is such an $A$ since $f$ is recursive and so there is a Turing machine that computes it?
Yes, by definition.

evinda said:
Could you explain to me further the definition of $g$ ?
First note that $\text{image}(g)\subseteq\text{dom}(f)$. For converse inclusion, suppose $m\in\text{dom}(f)$. Then $A(m)$ terminates in, say, $n$ steps. In this case, $g(p(m,n))=m$ and therefore $m\in\text{image}(g)$, which means that $\text{dom}(f)\subseteq\text{image}(g)$. The trick is that as $k$ ranges over the whole $\mathbb{N}$, the elements of pairs that $k$ encodes also range over the whole $\mathbb{N}$. So the first element will take all possible elements of the domain of $f$ and the second element will take all possible numbers of steps. If $A$ terminates on the some element of the domain, sooner or later this will be discovered. It is crucial that $g$ it total because it does not require running $A$ on any input until it terminates because this may not happen. It requires running $A$ for a given number of steps only.

Evgeny.Makarov said:

Interesting. (Smile)

Evgeny.Makarov said:
If, for example, the domain of $f$ is $\mathbb{N}$, then the range (i.e., image) contains $f(1)$.

Ah, I see... And it wouldn't make sense if the domain of a total recursive function would be the empty set...

Evgeny.Makarov said:
First note that $\text{image}(g)\subseteq\text{dom}(f)$.

We have supposed that $f(x_0)$ is defined and that implies that $x_0 \in \text{dom}(f)$.
Do we deduce that $m \in \text{dom}(f)$ by taking into consideration that $A(m)$ terminates in $n$ steps and $A$ computes $f$ ?
Evgeny.Makarov said:
For converse inclusion, suppose $m\in\text{dom}(f)$. Then $A(m)$ terminates in, say, $n$ steps. In this case, $g(p(m,n))=m$

We have supposed that $p$ is a function with domain the set of natural numbers. So is $g(p(m,n))=m$ a typo? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Ah, I see... And it wouldn't make sense if the domain of a total recursive function would be the empty set...
You are right; this situation is not interesting.
Evgeny.Makarov said:
Most books consider just some fixed standard sets, like natural numbers or terms in some signature, as domains of total computable functions, and functions that are not defined on the whole set are called partial.

evinda said:
We have supposed that $f(x_0)$ is defined and that implies that $x_0 \in \text{dom}(f)$.
Do we deduce that $m \in \text{dom}(f)$ by taking into consideration that $A(m)$ terminates in $n$ steps and $A$ computes $f$ ?
Yes.

evinda said:
We have supposed that $p$ is a function with domain the set of natural numbers. So is $g(p(m,n))=m$ a typo?
Yes, it should say $g(p^{-1}(m,n))=m$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
First note that $\text{image}(g)\subseteq\text{dom}(f)$. For converse inclusion, suppose $m\in\text{dom}(f)$. Then $A(m)$ terminates in, say, $n$ steps. In this case, $g(p^{-1}(m,n))=m$ and therefore $m\in\text{image}(g)$, which means that $\text{dom}(f)\subseteq\text{image}(g)$.

I understand...
Evgeny.Makarov said:
The trick is that as $k$ ranges over the whole $\mathbb{N}$, the elements of pairs that $k$ encodes also range over the whole $\mathbb{N}$.

Because of the fact that we have supposed that $p$ is a bijection and so for $k_1 \neq k_2$ we have that $p(k_1) \neq p(k_2)$, right?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
So the first element will take all possible elements of the domain of $f$ and the second element will take all possible numbers of steps.
We define the function $p$ such that $m$ represents an element of the domain of $f$ and $n$ the number of steps that the algorithm $A$ needs in order to terminate, right?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It is crucial that $g$ it total because it does not require running $A$ on any input until it terminates because this may not happen.

You mean because $n$ is known before running the algorithm and so the number of steps that we need in order to check if $A(m)$ terminates is therefore also known?

evinda said:
Because of the fact that we have supposed that $p$ is a bijection and so for $k_1 \neq k_2$ we have that $p(k_1) \neq p(k_2)$, right?
What is important is that $p:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{N}\times\mathbb{N}$ is a surjection. Injectivity is not important.

evinda said:
We define the function $p$ such that $m$ represents an element of the domain of $f$ and $n$ the number of steps that the algorithm $A$ needs in order to terminate, right?
$p$ is defined in such a way that it is a surjection, but it is used in the way you describe (though this description is not very precise).

evinda said:
You mean because $n$ is known before running the algorithm and so the number of steps that we need in order to check if $A(m)$ terminates is therefore also known?
If you say "$n$ is known", but don't describe what meaning you ascribe to $n$, your description is somewhat vague. Given $n$, one can check whether a given algorithm terminates in $n$ steps. In general one cannot check whether an algorithm terminates if no upper bound on the number of steps is given.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
What is important is that $p:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{N}\times\mathbb{N}$ is a surjection. Injectivity is not important.

From the surjection of $p$ we have that $\forall (m,n) \ \exists k$ such that $p(k)=(m,n)$.
How do we deduce from this that $m$ and $n$ range over the whole $\mathbb{N}$ ?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
$p$ is defined in such a way that it is a surjection, but it is used in the way you describe (though this description is not very precise).

How could we describe it better?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
If you say "$n$ is known", but don't describe what meaning you ascribe to $n$, your description is somewhat vague. Given $n$, one can check whether a given algorithm terminates in $n$ steps. In general one cannot check whether an algorithm terminates if no upper bound on the number of steps is given.

Yes, that's right...

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It is crucial that $g$ it total because it does not require running $A$ on any input until it terminates because this may not happen. It requires running $A$ for a given number of steps only.

To check if a function is total we just look at its domain and since $k$ ranges over the whole $\mathbb{N}$ we deduce that $g$ is total, right?

In general, can a total function require from an algorithm $A$ to run without knowing any upper bound of steps ?

Last edited:
evinda said:
From the surjection of $p$ we have that $\forall (m,n) \ \exists k$ such that $p(k)=(m,n)$.
How do we deduce from this that $m$ and $n$ range over the whole $\mathbb{N}$ ?
The statement that $m$ and $n$ where $(m,n)=p(k)$ range over the whole $\mathbb{N}$ when $k$ ranges over $\mathbb{N}$ literally means that $p$ is surjective: nothing more and nothing less.

evinda said:
How could we describe it better?
I am against repeatedly rewriting informal ideas ("We define the function $p$ such that $m$ represents...") over a period of many days. They become more and more convoluted and hard to remember. I am for writing precise statements that are true or false. The preferred type of questions about such statements is "Why does this hold?".

evinda said:
To check if a function is total we just look at its domain and since $k$ ranges over the whole $\mathbb{N}$ we deduce that $g$ is total, right?
No, a function is total if it maps every element of its domain. To check whether $g$ is total you must use its definition to see if it is defined for every natural number. The fact that $k$ ranges over $\mathbb{N}$ is not a definition of $g$ and is not enough. Showing that $g$ is total is important because the problem statement in post #1 requires it.

evinda said:
In general, can a total function require from an algorithm $A$ to run without knowing any upper bound of steps ?
What exactly is $A$ in your question? What does an arbitrary total function have to do with $A$? It is also not clear what you mean by saying that a function "requires $A$ to run without knowing any upper bound of steps". In post #5 I said that $g$ requires $A$ to run for $n$ steps to mean that the phrase "run $A$ for $n$ steps" is a part of the definition of $g$.

Now that the idea behind the definition $g$ in post #3 has been discussed, I recommend you go back to the definition and to the corresponding theorem and try to understand its proof given in post #5. Try to write precise statements as much as possible.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
No, a function is total if it maps every element of its domain. To check whether $g$ is total you must use its definition to see if it is defined for every natural number. The fact that $k$ ranges over $\mathbb{N}$ is not a definition of $g$ and is not enough. Showing that $g$ is total is important because the problem statement in post #1 requires it.
We have that $k$ is an arbitrary natural number and $p(k)=(m,n)$. There are two possible cases:

• $A(m)$ terminates within $n$ steps. Then $g(k)=m$.
  • $A(m)$ does not terminate within $n$ steps. Then $g(k)=x_0$.

These are the only possible cases and since $k \in \mathbb{N}$ is arbitrary, we deduce that the function $g$ is total. Is tis right?
It is crucial that $g$ it total because it does not require running $A$ on any input until it terminates because this may not happen.

I was trying to understand this proposition. I was wondering, whether we could deduce if the function $g$ is total if the number of steps needed, $n$, wouldn't be known, i.e. if we had this function$\left\{\begin{matrix}
m, & A(m) \text{ terminates}\\
x_0 ,& \text{ otherwise}
\end{matrix}\right.$

But I think that we could since we check if the function is defined for all elements of the domain in order to check if it is total. We don't look at its image. Right?

evinda said:
We have that $k$ is an arbitrary natural number and $p(k)=(m,n)$. There are two possible cases:

• $A(m)$ terminates within $n$ steps. Then $g(k)=m$.
  • $A(m)$ does not terminate within $n$ steps. Then $g(k)=x_0$.

These are the only possible cases and since $k \in \mathbb{N}$ is arbitrary, we deduce that the function $g$ is total. Is tis right?
Yes, either $A(m)$ terminates within $n$ steps or it does not. In both cases $g(k)$ is defined. Therefore, $g$ is total: it is defined for every $k$. But totality of $g$ is much weaker than what has to be shown. The problem asks to prove that $g$ is total and recursive (computable). It is very easy to come up with a not necessarily computable function whose image is the domain of $f$ ($f$ is the original partial recursive function). For example, if $\text{dom}(f)$ is finite, say, $\{m_0,m_1,\dots,m_{p-1}\}$, then define $g(k)=m_r$ where $r$ is the remainder when $k$ is divided by $p$. That is, $g$ is a periodic function taking values $m_0,\dots,m_{p-1}$ repeatedly. In this case, $g$ is recursive. If, on the other hand, $\text{dom}(f)$ is infinite, then, since $\text{dom}(f)\subseteq\mathbb{N}$, there is a bijection $g$ from $\mathbb{N}$ to $\text{dom}(f)$. However, there is no guarantee that such $g$ is recursive.

It is important that "$A(m)$ terminates within $n$ steps" is a decidable statement. That is, there is a Turing machine $M$ (or a Java method, C function, etc.) that for given $m$ and $n$ will always terminate and return "yes" or "no" depending on whether this statement is true or false. Here $A$ is a fixed Turing machine (algorithm) that computes $f$, so it can be incorporated into $M$. The informal description of $M$ is simple: run $A$ on $m$ for $n$ steps; if it terminates, return "yes"; otherwise, return "no". The finite number $n$ of steps is crucial. Therefore, $g(k)$, which has to decide statements in the first sentence of this paragraph, is computable.

evinda said:
I was trying to understand this proposition. I was wondering, whether we could deduce if the function $g$ is total if the number of steps needed, $n$, wouldn't be known, i.e. if we had this function$\left\{\begin{matrix}
m, & A(m) \text{ terminates}\\
x_0 ,& \text{ otherwise}
\end{matrix}\right.$

But I think that we could since we check if the function is defined for all elements of the domain in order to check if it is total. We don't look at its image. Right?
Such function is total, but it is not a priori computable because there is no obvious algorithm for deciding whether $A(m)$ terminates.

I understand. Thank you very much! (Smile)

Related to Difference of two types of recursive functions

1. What is the difference between linear and exponential recursive functions?

Linear recursive functions have a time complexity of O(n), meaning the time it takes to execute the function increases linearly with the input size. Exponential recursive functions, on the other hand, have a time complexity of O(2^n), meaning the time it takes to execute the function increases exponentially with the input size.

2. How do the base cases differ between linear and exponential recursive functions?

The base case for a linear recursive function is generally simpler and easier to identify, as it only needs to consider one previous value in the recursive call. In an exponential recursive function, the base case often involves considering multiple previous values, making it more complex.

3. Can linear and exponential recursive functions be used interchangeably?

No, linear and exponential recursive functions serve different purposes and should not be used interchangeably. Linear recursive functions are useful for solving problems that can be broken down into smaller, simpler subproblems, while exponential recursive functions are more suitable for problems that involve repeated doubling or halving of values.

4. How does the space complexity differ between linear and exponential recursive functions?

Linear recursive functions have a space complexity of O(n), meaning they require a linear amount of memory to store the recursive calls. Exponential recursive functions have a space complexity of O(n), meaning they require an exponential amount of memory to store the recursive calls.

5. Are there any advantages to using exponential recursive functions over linear ones?

Exponential recursive functions can sometimes be more efficient in solving certain types of problems, such as those involving repeated doubling or halving of values. However, they also have a higher space complexity and can be more prone to stack overflows, so they should be used with caution.