Difference in height in a U-shaped tube

In summary, the horizontal pipe with varying cross-sectional areas and a flow rate of 6,00 L/s has a difference in height between the mercury columns in the U-shaped tube of 0.127 m. Using Bernoulli's principle and accounting for the change in velocity, the correct velocity of the flow in the narrower portion of the pipe is 24 m/s.
kottur

Homework Statement

The horizontal pipe, shown in the figure, has a cross-sectional area of [itex]40,0 cm^{2}[/itex] at the wider portions and [itex]10,0 cm^{2}[/itex] at the constriction. Water is flowing in the pipe, and the discharge from the pipe is [itex]6,00*10^{-3}\frac{m^{3}}{s} (6,00\frac{L}{s})[/itex]. The density of mercury is [itex]\rho_{Hg}=13,6*10^{3}\frac{kg}{m^{3}}[/itex] and the density of water is [itex]\rho_{w}=1,00*10^{3}\frac{kg}{m^{3}}[/itex].

What is the difference in height between the mercury columns in the U-shaped tube?

YF-14-45.jpg

Homework Equations

I've been using Bernoulli's Principle.

[itex]P_{1}+\rho*g*H_{1}=P_{2}+\rho*g*H_{2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

When I use the formula above I get 0.127 m which is incorrect. I also found this problem on the internet where they get the same answer so I was pretty sure but apparently it's wrong. :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your picture? I suspect one end of the manometer attached to the smaller diameter while the other is sampling the larger diameter. If so there is a difference in velocity so the pressure must change. You'll probably need some V^2 terms in your equation to account for velocity differences. We need a picture of your problem.

You have the density of water and the density of mercury as roughly equal.

Sorry! I've put in the picture and the correct density of water. :)

OK I see your picture now. Don't know where it was before because it was not showing up on my screen. Because the velocity changes you must have a V^2 on each side of the equation. You compute the velocities from the cross sectional areas and flow rate.

Should I use [itex]A_{1}v_{1}=A_{2}v_{2}[/itex]? A and v are the areas and velocities. I can use [itex]A_{1}[/itex] and [itex]v_{1}[/itex] for the wide part... then I can find [itex]v_{2}[/itex]. Does that help?

Okay my calculations are [itex]A_{1}v_{1}=40 cm^{2}*6,00\frac{L}{s}=240\frac{L*cm^{2}}{s}[/itex]. Then I get [itex]A_{2}v_{2}=10 cm^{2}*v_{2}=240\frac{L*cm^{2}}{s}[/itex] so [itex]v_{2}=24\frac{L}{s}[/itex].

Your units are liters per second. That is not the unit of velocity. You need meters/second. V1 is not 6 liters/second.

Always check to ensure your units describe the variable you seek.

Last edited:

Related to Difference in height in a U-shaped tube

1. What is a U-shaped tube?

A U-shaped tube is a glass or plastic tube that has a U shape, with one end higher than the other. It is often used in scientific experiments to demonstrate the principles of fluid pressure and flow.

2. How does the height difference in a U-shaped tube affect the flow of liquid?

The height difference in a U-shaped tube creates a pressure difference between the two ends of the tube. This pressure difference causes a flow of liquid from the higher end to the lower end, until the pressure on both sides is equalized.

3. What factors can affect the height difference in a U-shaped tube?

The height difference in a U-shaped tube is affected by the density of the liquid, the size of the tube, and the difference in height between the two ends. It can also be affected by external factors such as atmospheric pressure and temperature.

4. How is the height difference in a U-shaped tube measured?

The height difference in a U-shaped tube is typically measured using a ruler or measuring tape. The difference in height between the two ends of the tube is recorded in units such as centimeters or inches.

5. What are some practical applications of the U-shaped tube experiment?

The U-shaped tube experiment is commonly used in industries such as chemistry, engineering, and medicine to measure pressure, flow rate, and density. It is also used in educational settings to demonstrate concepts of fluid mechanics and to teach students about scientific experimentation.