Difference between University Physics and College Physics (by Young et al)

In summary: However, different books often treat topics differently, so sometimes it helps to get a different perspective on topics you're struggling with.In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the textbooks College Physics by Young/Geller and University Physics by Young/Freedman. The main difference being that College Physics is an algebra-based physics book while University Physics is an introductory calculus-based physics book. The speaker's friend recommends University Physics as the better choice and the speaker is seeking advice on whether to invest in the book. The conversation also touches on the speaker's goal of making it into the national team for Physics Olympiad and their dislike for reading ebooks. The summary concludes with a reminder that introductory calculus-based physics textbooks are generally similar and the importance of getting a different
dawn_pingpong
I currently have College Physics by Young/Geller. My friend (who is superb at physics) told me that that book is not good and University Physics by Young/Freedman is a better choice. I would really like to know what is the difference between these 2 books? Should I invest in the Uni Physics book, considering that I already have the other? The context is that I really hope to make it into the national team for Physics Olympiad, or at least get a gold/silver in the National O. I'm currently 10th grade (not in US), and have maybe 1.3 years more to study for the exam (if i can make it to nats in the first place.)

If anyone has any tips for me to study for it, it will be even greatly appreciated:D

(Oh and I also happen to have ebook of Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday/Resnick. I know it's good, but I dislike reading ebooks)

Thank a ton!

Physics news on Phys.org
Introductory calculus-based physics textbooks are more or less the same. Just pick one that suits you. I wouldn't waste money getting another introductory textbook.

dawn_pingpong said:
I currently have College Physics by Young/Geller. My friend (who is superb at physics) told me that that book is not good and University Physics by Young/Freedman is a better choice. I would really like to know what is the difference between these 2 books?

Mmm_Pasta said:
Introductory calculus-based physics textbooks are more or less the same.

Young's College Physics is not an introductory calculus-based physics book. It is an algebra-based physics book, and that is the difference between the two books. So in a sense, the OP's friend is correct -- Young's University Physics would be the better choice.

I've never used Young/Freedman myself, but it's probably pretty similar to Halliday/Resnick in the topics covered, and in the mathematical and conceptual level.

I would recommend investing in the University Physics book by Young and Freedman. While both books may cover similar content, University Physics is typically used in higher level courses and is more rigorous and comprehensive. It may also cover topics in more depth and with more mathematical rigor, which would be beneficial for preparing for the Physics Olympiad and other advanced exams. Additionally, having a variety of resources can be helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of the material.

In terms of studying for the Physics Olympiad, I would suggest practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as these are often the focus of such exams. It may also be helpful to review fundamental concepts and equations, as well as to familiarize yourself with the types of questions typically asked in these competitions.

As for the ebook of Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday and Resnick, it may be useful as a supplementary resource, but it ultimately depends on your personal preferences for studying. If you prefer physical textbooks, then stick with the University Physics book. However, if you find that you learn better from ebooks, then the Fundamentals of Physics ebook may be a good option.

Overall, it's important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals and to practice problem-solving skills for success in the Physics Olympiad. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Difference between University Physics and College Physics (by Young et al)

1. What is the main difference between university physics and college physics?

The main difference between university physics and college physics is the level of depth and rigor in the subject matter. University physics is typically more advanced and covers topics in greater detail, while college physics covers the basic principles and concepts.

2. Is the textbook "University Physics" by Young et al suitable for both university and college level courses?

Yes, the textbook "University Physics" by Young et al is suitable for both university and college level courses. It is designed to cover both introductory and advanced topics in physics, making it suitable for a wide range of courses.

3. Are the concepts and equations in university physics and college physics the same?

Yes, the fundamental concepts and equations in university physics and college physics are the same. However, in university physics, these concepts are explored in more depth and with greater mathematical rigor.

4. Can college physics students use "University Physics" by Young et al as a reference for more advanced topics?

Yes, college physics students can use "University Physics" by Young et al as a reference for more advanced topics. The textbook covers both basic and advanced topics, making it a useful resource for students at any level.

5. How can studying university physics benefit students in their future careers?

Studying university physics can benefit students in their future careers by providing them with a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can open up opportunities for a variety of career paths.