Difference between translation and uniform motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between translation and uniform motion, with translation being a constant offset between coordinates and uniform motion being a time-varying offset. While translation is necessary to describe uniform motion, they are not exactly the same. This distinction is important in understanding the laws of physics.
Pushoam
Physics news on Phys.org
yes by the looks of it the basis of uniform motion was from his translational veiw of space and time and how a ball will go through uniform acceleration on a ramp.

Likes Pushoam
Zach S said:
yes by the looks of it the basis of uniform motion was from his translational veiw of spacd and tims and how a ball will go through uniform acceleration on a ramp.
Then, why does wikipedia treat translation and uniform motion differently?

Pushoam said:
Then, why does wikipedia treat translation and uniform motion differently?
translation is needed to describe uniform motion a movement through space and time not exactly the same but is needed to describe uniform motion

Likes Pushoam
o.k.
Thank you.

In the notation they are using, translation is the relationship between the coordinates used by me and the guy sat next to me. Uniform motion is the relationship between the coordinates used by me and someone sitting in a passing train.

In the first case, the difference between the coordinates is just a constant offset. If I say something is at ##x=-1## (i.e. 1m to my left), the other guy says it's at ##x'=-2## (i.e. 2m to his left). That is true for all times.

In the second case, the difference between the coordinates is a time-varying offset. If the train is moving at speed v past me, I say that the passenger is at ##x=vt## at time t. However the passenger regards herself as at rest at ##x''=0##, and me as moving at -v, so I am at ##x''=-vt##.

That's the difference. The first one leads to "the laws of physics are the same at all places" and the second to "the laws of physics are the same at all speeds".

Likes Pushoam and vanhees71

Related to Difference between translation and uniform motion

1. What is the difference between translation and uniform motion?

Translation refers to the movement of an object from one point to another without any change in its orientation. Uniform motion, on the other hand, refers to the movement of an object at a constant speed and in a straight line.

2. Can an object have translation without having uniform motion?

Yes, an object can have translation without having uniform motion. For example, if an object is moving in a curved path, it is undergoing translation but not uniform motion because its speed and direction are constantly changing.

3. Is uniform motion always considered as translation?

No, uniform motion is not always considered as translation. Uniform motion can also occur in rotational motion, where an object moves at a constant speed in a circular path.

4. How are translation and uniform motion related to each other?

Translation and uniform motion are related in that they both involve the movement of an object. However, translation specifically refers to the change in position of an object, while uniform motion refers to the constant speed and direction of the object's movement.

5. Can an object have uniform motion without undergoing translation?

Yes, an object can have uniform motion without undergoing translation. This can occur in rotational motion, where an object moves at a constant speed in a circular path but does not change its position in space.