Difference between Pulse Wave and PWM ?

In summary, the difference between Pulse Wave and Pulse Width Modulation is that Pulse Wave has a constant duty cycle while PWM has a varying duty cycle. They are not interchangeable.
Etude
Hi! I have been getting really confused about this one thing. Can someone please clear my confusion ?
Is there a difference between Pulse Wave and Pulse Width Modulation? If yes, what is it ? If no, can one be used in place of the other ? :smile:
Thanx !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Etude said:
Hi! I have been getting really confused about this one thing. Can someone please clear my confusion ?
Is there a difference between Pulse Wave and Pulse Width Modulation? If yes, what is it ? If no, can one be used in place of the other ? :smile:
Thanx !

It looks like the Pulse Wave or Pulse Train has constant duty cycle, as opposed to PWM where the duty cycle varies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_wave

Hey! Thanx! I read the wiki article before but your single line there was more helpful. :)

Related to Difference between Pulse Wave and PWM ?

What is a pulse wave?

A pulse wave is a type of electronic signal that consists of a series of pulses with varying amplitudes and durations. It is commonly used in digital electronics to represent binary data.

What is PWM?

PWM stands for Pulse Width Modulation. It is a technique used in electronics to control the amount of power delivered to a device by varying the width of the pulses in a signal.

What is the main difference between pulse wave and PWM?

The main difference between pulse wave and PWM is that pulse wave is a type of electronic signal used to represent binary data, while PWM is a technique used to control the amount of power delivered to a device.

Which one is more commonly used in digital electronics?

Pulse wave is more commonly used in digital electronics as it is used to represent binary data, which is the basis of digital communication and computing. PWM is used in specific applications where precise control of power delivery is required.

Can pulse wave and PWM be used together?

Yes, pulse wave and PWM can be used together in some applications. For example, pulse wave can be used to control the frequency of the pulses in a PWM signal, which can then be used to control the power delivered to a device. This allows for more precise control over the power delivery.