Difference between images produced by gravitational lensing

In summary, gravitational lensing affects objects that are massive and close to each other. It allows us to see multiple images of the same object.
PWiz
Around massive bodies, light bends so that we can see multiple images of the same object, such as multiple images of the same galaxy behind the massive body.
I know this seems kind of a dim question, but how can we know that the similar images we pick up are light rays from the same object that have undergone gravitational lensing or whether there is an actual cluster of galaxies that emit nearly identical light? Given an image, how can we know that two "light spots" that seem identical are from the same source or different sources that emit identical light?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the spectrum of the light would be the same (because it comes from the same souce object). Perhaps unlikely you would have a cluster of galaxies in the required arc and all emitting the same spectrum?

Google found..

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr162/lect/galaxies/lensing.html

Gravitational lensing was actually discovered for quasars before it was found for galaxies. In 1979 two quasars only 6 seconds of arc apart were discovered and they were found to have identical redshifts and spectra. The probability of this happening by accident is exceedingly small, and it was postulated that this pair actually corresponds to the same quasar that is lensed so strongly by intervening mass that its image appears double as we view it from Earth.

PWiz said:
Around massive bodies, light bends so that we can see multiple images of the same object, such as multiple images of the same galaxy behind the massive body.
I know this seems kind of a dim question, but how can we know that the similar images we pick up are light rays from the same object that have undergone gravitational lensing or whether there is an actual cluster of galaxies that emit nearly identical light? Given an image, how can we know that two "light spots" that seem identical are from the same source or different sources that emit identical light?
This is a problem with all astronomical observations. Resolving power is always limited, with optical lenses and microwave reflectors and an observation made today may suggest a single star but, when a bigger telescope is used, it is resolved into a binary system - or just two stars in nearly the same direction. A massive cosmological object is a lousy lens, in fact - but better than nothing.

@CWatters Thanks for the link. What do you think should be the maximum separation of two observed images that are identical to one another for them to qualify as product of gravitational lensing? (i.e. at what arc length separation can we be confident that the two images are not from the same object?)
@sophiecentaur I see, your point is very valid. But I'm talking about two objects that have already been resolved by the telescope. I'm actually more interested in the procedure which can confirm that the two images are from the same/different object(s).

Last edited:
PWiz said:
@CWatters Thanks for the link. What do you think should be the maximum separation of two observed images that are identical to one another for them to qualify as product of gravitational lensing? (i.e. at what arc length separation can we be confident that the two images are not from the same object?)
@sophiecentaur I see, your point is very valid. But I'm talking about two objects that have already been resolved by the telescope. I'm actually more interested in the procedure which can confirm that the two images are from the same/different object(s).
Your "two objects" are, in fact 'two images' (until proved not to be). You could still be looking at an artefact - or not. There are many examples of double images in ordinary optics and it may not be obvious what you are really looking at. There are sometimes strategies for judging whether there are two distinct ones. In your case, I guess you could just look at the spectra of the two images. If they are indistinguishable then you could conclude they are of the same object.

You do know that there have been observations of a lensed supernova, one that has appeared in multiple images of the same galaxy. That seems to me to be pretty convincing.

Otherwise, you need to argue that something like this is going on:

Vanadium 50 said:
observations of a lensed supernova,
Not many examples of two of those going off at the same time!

Indeed. There are also predictions on when we will see an image of the same supernova in another part of the lensed image. I think the next such date is a few years from now, but it seems to me that this is awfully predictive.

Vanadium 50 said:
Indeed. There are also predictions on when we will see an image of the same supernova in another part of the lensed image. I think the next such date is a few years from now, but it seems to me that this is awfully predictive.
That is really amazing. But shouldn't surprise me, bearing in mind the large number of light years of distance (path lengths) involved. I was thinking of the images arriving at the same time. What sort of accuracy is involved here? Imagine being able to see the very start of the Nova process in detail with a narrow field telescope.

sophiecentaur said:
Your "two objects" are, in fact 'two images' (until proved not to be). You could still be looking at an artefact - or not. There are many examples of double images in ordinary optics and it may not be obvious what you are really looking at. There are sometimes strategies for judging whether there are two distinct ones. In your case, I guess you could just look at the spectra of the two images. If they are indistinguishable then you could conclude they are of the same object.
My bad, I meant two images that have been resolved, not two objects. Thanks for the answer.

I don't know (or rather, don't remember) how precise the prediction is. I assume it depends on how well we know the details of the lensing galaxy, and since it's mostly dark matter, that has to mostly come from the other lensed images.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't know (or rather, don't remember) how precise the prediction is. I assume it depends on how well we know the details of the lensing galaxy, and since it's mostly dark matter, that has to mostly come from the other lensed images.
Are 'they' actually pointing telescopes in any particular direction in order to catch one?

Related to Difference between images produced by gravitational lensing

What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the gravitational force of a massive object, such as a galaxy or a cluster of galaxies, bends the path of light from a distant object, creating a distorted or magnified image of the object.

How is an image produced by gravitational lensing different from a regular image?

The main difference is that an image produced by gravitational lensing is distorted and magnified due to the bending of light, while a regular image is a direct representation of the object without any distortion. Gravitational lensing can also produce multiple images of the same object, while a regular image is a single representation.

What causes gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is caused by the curvature of space and time around massive objects, as predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. The more massive an object is, the stronger its gravitational force and the greater the distortion of light.

Why is gravitational lensing important in astronomy?

Gravitational lensing allows us to observe and study objects that would otherwise be too faint or distant to be seen. It also provides a way to measure the mass and distribution of dark matter in the universe, as well as test the predictions of general relativity.

Can gravitational lensing be used for practical applications?

Yes, gravitational lensing has been used in practical applications such as creating stronger telescopes and improving the accuracy of GPS systems. It is also being studied for potential uses in the field of gravitational wave detection and future space travel.