Difference between Force components using triangle rule and dotproduct

In summary, the law of sines is used to determine the components of the force in the triangle formed by Fu, Fv, and the force (in the parallelogram rule setup).
ehabmozart
Hello everyone,
I have here one important abstract question which makes up some perplexity to my understanding. Attached to this post is one pic of F and two new introduced axes ( u and v ) . Let us for instance not consider them as perpendicular to each other. Now, if I am asked to resolve these forces along u and v USING geometry, I will use the parallelogram rule which will outcome results rather than F cos theta as for the u axis for example. Now, if we want to compute the scalar projection of F along u, we simply can say it is F. unit vector f u which will be F cos theta. However, written in some books, this magnitude is NOT the same as the component of F along u. Why?? To sum up my question, what is the difference between the component of F along any axis using the parallelogram rule and the dot product definition. Sorry for elongating and Thanks to whoever gives me a kind hand.

Attachments

• 005-components-in-inclined-axes.jpg
    005-components-in-inclined-axes.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
hello ehabmozart! :smile:

for the usual coordinates i and j,

F = Fxi + Fyj

where
Fx = F·i

Fy = F·j

as you've noticed, that doesn't translate into the case of non-perpendicular axes

so instead of "dotting" with the same coordinate, let's "cross" with the other coordinate …
Fxixj = Fxj

Fyjxi = Fxi

(these are the same as saying that F - Fxi is parallel to j, and F - Fyj is parallel to i, which is what we want)

if you use a general u and v instead of i and j, the formulas now work :wink:

[QUOTE
so instead of "dotting" with the same coordinate, let's "cross" with the other coordinate …
Fxixj = Fxj

Fyjxi = Fxi

(these are the same as saying that F - Fxi is parallel to j, and F - Fyj is parallel to i, which is what we want)

if you use a general u and v instead of i and j, the formulas now work :wink:[/QUOTE]

I am sorry my man, but I honestly understood nothing from these statements. What do you mean for instance by Fyjxi = Fxi[/INDENT] ... Thanks for your time and effort, after all :)

ehabmozart said:
What do you mean for instance by Fyjxi = Fxi[/INDENT] ... Thanks for your time and effort, after all :)

i and j are the usual symbols for the unit vectors in the x and y directions

so Fx and Fy are Fcosθ and Fsinθ

and Fxi will be the vector with magnitude Fsinθ

Let's suppose that u and v are not perpendicular, and [itex]\vec{i}_u[/itex] and [itex]\vec{i}_v[/itex] are the unit vectors along the u and v axes respectively. Then the force [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] can be represented by:
[tex]\vec{F}=F_u\vec{i}_u+F_v\vec{i}_v[/tex]
If we take the dot product of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] with respect to [itex]\vec{i}_u[/itex] and [itex]\vec{i}_v[/itex]
we get
[tex]\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_u =F_u+F_v(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_v =F_u(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)+F_v[/tex]

If you solve for the components of F in the u-v system, you get:
[tex]F_u=\frac{(\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_u)-(\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_v)(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)}{1-(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)^2}[/tex]
[tex]F_v=\frac{(\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_v)-(\vec{F}\centerdot \vec{i}_u)(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)}{1-(\vec{i}_v\centerdot \vec{i}_u)^2}[/tex]

This is the same result you would get using the parallelogram method.

Chet

Last edited:
This is a continuation of my previous post. Let α be the angle between the force and the u axis, and let β be the angle between the force and the v axis. Prove that the results I presented are consistent with the law of sines for the components of the force in the triangle formed by Fu, Fv, and the force (in the parallelogram rule setup).

Related to Difference between Force components using triangle rule and dotproduct

What is the triangle rule for calculating force components?

The triangle rule is a graphical method used to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of a force vector. It involves drawing a right triangle with the force vector as the hypotenuse, and then using trigonometric functions to determine the magnitude and direction of the components.

What is the dot product method for calculating force components?

The dot product method is a mathematical approach for calculating force components. It involves taking the dot product of the force vector and the unit vectors for the x and y axes. The resulting scalar values represent the magnitude of the horizontal and vertical components.

What are the advantages of using the triangle rule?

The triangle rule is a visual method that allows for a quick and intuitive understanding of force components. It also allows for easy visualization of the direction and magnitude of the components. Additionally, it can be used to calculate components for any angle, not just horizontal and vertical components.

What are the advantages of using the dot product method?

The dot product method is a more precise and accurate approach for calculating force components. It also allows for calculations to be done without having to draw a graphical representation. Additionally, it can be used to calculate components for any angle, not just horizontal and vertical components.

How do the results differ between the triangle rule and dot product method?

The results for the magnitude and direction of the force components will be the same for both methods. However, the dot product method will provide a more precise and accurate calculation, while the triangle rule may have a slight margin of error due to the visual estimation involved.