Difference between eigenvalue and an expectation value

Karonen explained that the difference between an eigenvalue and an expectation value of an observable is that the former is a specific value associated with a state, while the latter is an average value of a repeated measurement. However, in certain circumstances, such as when the system is in a pure eigenstate, the expectation value may be the same as the eigenvalue.
solas99
difference between eigenvalue and an expectation value of an observable. in what circumstances may they be the same?

from what i understand, an expectation value is the average value of a repeated value, it might be the same as eigen value, when the system is a pure eigenstate..

am i right?

Likes Basirul
Physics news on Phys.org
solas99 said:
difference between eigenvalue and an expectation value of an observable. in what circumstances may they be the same?

from what i understand, an expectation value is the average value of a repeated value, it might be the same as eigen value, when the system is a pure eigenstate..

am i right?

Yes, you are right :smile:

Given an operator [itex]A: H \rightarrow H[/itex], [itex]H[/itex] an Hilbert space, [itex]|\psi\rangle \in H[/itex], then

i) [itex]a \equiv \frac{\langle \psi | A| \psi \rangle}{\langle \psi | \psi \rangle}[/itex] is the expectation value of [itex]A[/itex] over the state [itex]|\psi \rangle[/itex];
ii) if there exists [itex]\alpha \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]A|\psi \rangle = \alpha |\psi \rangle[/itex], then [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the eigenvalue of [itex]A[/itex] associated with the eigenstate [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex].

So if [itex]|\psi\rangle[/itex] is an eigenstate of [itex]A[/itex] with eigenvalue [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\langle \psi|\psi\rangle=1[/itex], then [itex]a=\alpha[/itex].

Ilm

Likes Kartik_iit_mandi, crick and (deleted member)

Related to Difference between eigenvalue and an expectation value

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a number that represents the scaling factor of a vector when it is multiplied by a transformation matrix. In other words, it is the value by which the vector is stretched or compressed when it is transformed.

2. What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is the average result of a measurement or observation in a given system. It is calculated by multiplying the possible outcomes by their respective probabilities and summing them together.

3. How are eigenvalues and expectation values related?

Eigenvalues and expectation values are related in that the expectation value of an observable in a quantum system is equal to the average of the eigenvalues of that observable. In other words, the expectation value is the most likely outcome of a measurement.

4. Can eigenvalues and expectation values be the same?

Yes, it is possible for an eigenvalue to be equal to the expectation value in certain cases. For example, in a system where all possible outcomes have the same probability, the expectation value will be equal to the average of all eigenvalues.

5. How are eigenvalues and expectation values used in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues and expectation values are important concepts in quantum mechanics as they help us understand the behavior and properties of quantum systems. They are used to calculate the probabilities of outcomes in measurements and to describe the energy levels of particles in a system.