Difference between centripetal and linear acceleration?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the different terms related to angular and linear motion, such as angular acceleration, radial acceleration, tangential acceleration, and centripetal acceleration. The speaker also mentions the use of the term "velocity" as a substitute for "acceleration" in some cases. They ask for clarification and understanding of these terms and their meanings.
Nuzzy
Hello all! I'm having some difficulty understanding one of the concepts of angular motion.

My textbook tells me that the total linear acceleration of a point in a rotating body is the vector sum of tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration.

However, later on in the chapter, there is an example problem using a rotating rod where we are supposed to find the linear acceleration of the tip of the rod. I thought that linear acceleration = tangential acceleration + centripetal acceleration, but for this example it says that linear acceleration = tangential acceleration. I don't see how they could suddenly ignore the centripetal acceleration??

Any explanation would be appreciated! Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Nuzzy,
Yes. Confusing terms.
Angular acceleration.
Linear acceleration.

Radial acceleration.
Tangential acceleration.

Centripetal acceleration.

One can substitute 'velocity' for 'acceleration' for another motion term of particle also.

Do you have a clear understanding of what each term means?
I won't be back for a while, so someone else may jump in.

Related to Difference between centripetal and linear acceleration?

1. What is the definition of centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's speed divided by the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is a type of acceleration that only occurs when an object is moving in a circular path, while linear acceleration can occur in any direction and is not limited to circular motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal acceleration?

The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²), v is the speed of the object in meters per second (m/s), and r is the radius of the circular path in meters (m).

4. How does centripetal acceleration relate to centripetal force?

Centripetal acceleration and centripetal force are directly related. Centripetal acceleration is the result of a centripetal force acting on an object, which is the force that keeps the object moving in a circular path. The direction of the centripetal force is always towards the center of the circle.

5. Can an object have both centripetal and linear acceleration at the same time?

Yes, an object can have both centripetal and linear acceleration at the same time. For example, a car moving in a circular path will have centripetal acceleration towards the center of the circle as well as linear acceleration in the direction of its motion. However, the two accelerations are independent of each other and can be calculated separately using the appropriate formulas.