Difference Between Calculus 3rd and 4th Edition by Spivak

In summary, the 4th edition of Calculus by Spivak includes additional topics and exercises, more detailed explanations and examples, and a new section on vector calculus. The chapters are also rearranged for a better flow of concepts. Whether it is worth buying depends on personal preferences and needs. The 4th edition also has more problems and exercises compared to the 3rd edition, but the core concepts and difficulty level remain similar. It is best to use the recommended edition for your class, and online resources are available for the 4th edition.
PSarkar
What are the differences? I know it won't be very different but how about the problems? Will it be ok if I get the 3rd edition for class instead of 4th? I don't want to do the wrong questions. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The publisher says that if you have the 3rd edition, then it wouldn't really be worth it for you to get the 4th. This leads me to think that nothing significant is different. I have the 3rd Ed and while I haven't worked through much of it... it is certainly sufficient for my needs :-)

Related to Difference Between Calculus 3rd and 4th Edition by Spivak

1. What are the main differences between the 3rd and 4th editions of Calculus by Spivak?

The main differences between the two editions are in the content and organization of the material. The 4th edition includes additional topics and exercises, as well as more detailed explanations and examples. It also has a new section on vector calculus. The chapters are also rearranged in the 4th edition to better reflect the flow of concepts in calculus.

2. Is the 4th edition worth buying if I already have the 3rd edition?

It depends on your personal preferences and needs. If you are satisfied with the material covered in the 3rd edition and do not need the additional topics included in the 4th edition, then there may not be a significant benefit in purchasing the newer edition. However, if you are looking for more thorough explanations and examples, or if you are interested in learning about vector calculus, then the 4th edition may be worth investing in.

3. Are there any major changes in the problem sets between the two editions?

Yes, the 4th edition includes additional problems and exercises compared to the 3rd edition. These new problems cover the additional topics included in the 4th edition and provide more practice for students. However, the core concepts and difficulty level of the problems remain similar between the two editions.

4. Can I use the 3rd edition if my class is using the 4th edition?

It is best to use the edition that is recommended by your class or professor. While the core concepts and principles of calculus remain the same, there may be differences in the organization and approach to the material between the two editions. This could potentially cause confusion if you are using a different edition than your classmates.

5. Are there any online resources available for the 4th edition of Calculus by Spivak?

Yes, there are online resources available for the 4th edition, such as a solutions manual and additional practice problems. These can be useful supplements to the textbook and can help with understanding and practicing the material. However, it is important to check with your instructor to make sure these resources align with the edition of the textbook being used in your class.