Diesel Stop Solenoids: Finding the Right Fit

• Thread starter Josh111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diesel
In summary, the application requires a pull type solenoid with a stroke of 9/16" - 1 1/2", a return spring of at least 20 lbs, and continuous duty. The Woodward/synchrostart line offers suitable options, but they are expensive. Other potential companies that make diesel stop solenoids include F. W. Murphy, Trombetta, Woodward, Heinzmann, Teddington, Motortech, Delphi, and Bosch.
Josh111
I am designing a stop system for a old diesel engine. The application I am using needs a pull type solenoid that can have a stroke of 9/16" - 1 1/2". it needs to have a return spring of at least 20 lbs. It needs to be continuous duty ( probably 2 coil).This will be used as a "engage to run" setup. The spring loaded solenoid will push the injector shut when power is removed.

I have looked at several brands including F. W. Murphy and Trombetta. These do not seem to meet my requirements. I did however find some in the woodward/synchrostart line that will work, however they are quite expensive. Can anyone tell me what some other companies are that make diesel stop solenoids?

These are the models I have looked at:

F. W. Murphy #RP2309B

Trombetta 600 Series
Woodward # 2370 - 12 -E2U1B5S2

Engineering news on Phys.org
Woodward, Heinzmann, Teddington, Motortech, Delphi, Bosch...

Related to Diesel Stop Solenoids: Finding the Right Fit

1. What is a diesel stop solenoid?

A diesel stop solenoid is an electronic valve that controls the flow of fuel in a diesel engine. It is responsible for shutting off the fuel supply to the engine, thus stopping the engine from running.

2. How does a diesel stop solenoid work?

A diesel stop solenoid is typically controlled by the vehicle's computer system. It is activated by an electrical signal, which opens or closes the valve to allow or stop the flow of fuel. When the solenoid is activated, it pulls a plunger or piston, which moves the valve to the open or closed position.

3. What are the common signs of a failing diesel stop solenoid?

Some common signs of a failing diesel stop solenoid include difficulty starting the engine, stalling or rough idling, and sudden loss of power while driving. These issues can also be caused by other factors, so it is important to have a professional diagnose the problem.

4. How do I know which diesel stop solenoid is the right fit for my vehicle?

The best way to determine the right fit for your vehicle is to consult the manufacturer's specifications or consult with a mechanic. You will need to know the make, model, and year of your vehicle, as well as the engine size and any other relevant information.

5. Can I replace a diesel stop solenoid myself?

Replacing a diesel stop solenoid can be a complex and delicate process, and it is typically best to have it done by a professional mechanic. However, if you have the proper tools and experience, it is possible to replace it yourself. Just be sure to follow all safety precautions and consult the vehicle's manual for specific instructions.