Dielectrics, heat capacity and polarization

Plugging in the given expression for P and solving for \kappael gives: \kappael=(a+b/T)/[E\epsilon] In summary, we can use the definition of heat capacity and the dielectric constant to solve for B and \kappael in terms of the given constants and properties of G(T,\epsilon).
Kelsi_Jade
Consider a dielecrtic with polarization P=(a+b/T)[itex]\epsilon[/itex] and heat capactiy C[itex]\epsilon[/itex]=A+B[itex]\epsilon[/itex], where a and b are constants. Show that B=2bV/T2 and find the isothermal dielectric constant [itex]\kappa[/itex]el. Use properties of G(T,[itex]\epsilon[/itex])

I'm really not sure where to start with this one. Any help is apreciated to get going in the right direction.
I know εVel/a
The only think I found in my notes is that C[itex]\epsilon[/itex]=-T(∂2G/∂T2)ε but I'm not sure how that plays into the question..

Physics news on Phys.org
Since G(T,\epsilon) is the Gibbs energy of a system, we can use the definition of heat capacity to express it in terms of derivatives of G: C\epsilon= -T(∂2G/∂T2)ε From this, we can solve for B: B = -T(∂2G/∂T2)ε/\epsilon Substituting the given expression for P into the equation gives: B= (2bV)/T^2 To find the isothermal dielectric constant \kappael, we can use the definition of the dielectric constant: \kappael=P/E Therefore, \kappael=(a+b/T)/E

Related to Dielectrics, heat capacity and polarization

1. What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that does not conduct electricity easily. It is commonly used in electronic devices as an insulating material to prevent the flow of electricity.

2. How does a dielectric affect capacitance?

A dielectric increases the capacitance of a capacitor by reducing the electric field between the plates. This is because the molecules in the dielectric material become polarized and create an opposing electric field.

3. What is heat capacity?

Heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. It is a measure of the ability of a material to store thermal energy.

4. How does heat capacity relate to temperature change?

The heat capacity of a substance determines how much its temperature will change when it absorbs or releases heat. A substance with a higher heat capacity will experience a smaller temperature change for a given amount of heat added or removed.

5. How does polarization occur in a material?

Polarization occurs when the molecules in a material become aligned in a particular direction in response to an external electric field. This causes the material to have a net dipole moment and creates an electric field within the material itself.