Dielectric constant of air with temperature change

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between air temperature and the dielectric constant of air, specifically in the context of using a capacitor and measuring phase delta between two antennas. The possibility of using the formula C=Ae/d is mentioned, and the speaker expresses an intuitive expectation for an increase in permittivity with an increase in temperature. Further research on the dependence of air's electric susceptibility on temperature is suggested.
Antenna_Ed
I'm looking to see how much the dielectric constant of air will change mostly as a function or air temperature.

Is there a formula that outputs air dielectric as a function of temperature or atmospheric pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
If using a capacitor you might be able to use C=Ae/d but I really don’t understand your question fully

Let's pretend I have a source antenna outputting a 1 GHz. I have two receive antennas on the main lobe. One is 10 meters away and the other is 11 meters away. I do my measurement at 25 C. I'm going to get some phase delta between these two antennas.

Now if the temp is 15 C when I make the measurement, what will the phase delta be? I'm ignoring everything else at the moment and only care about the effect of air. If I knew the dielectric I can compute the velocity factor and know the magnitude of change.

Intuitively, I would expect permittivity to increase with an increase in temperature. The relative permittivity is directly related to electric susceptibility, and I believe there are a number of publications that exist discussing the subject of the dependence on electric susceptibility of air with temperature. I haven't done a lot of research on the subject, but I would start there.

Related to Dielectric constant of air with temperature change

What is the definition of dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant, also known as relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electric charge and is defined as the ratio of the electric flux density in a vacuum to the electric flux density in the material.

How does temperature affect the dielectric constant of air?

As temperature increases, the average kinetic energy of air molecules also increases, causing them to vibrate more vigorously. This increased vibration disrupts the alignment of the molecules, decreasing the dielectric constant of air.

What is the relationship between the dielectric constant of air and its temperature?

The relationship between the dielectric constant of air and its temperature is inverse. As temperature increases, the dielectric constant decreases and vice versa.

What is the significance of knowing the dielectric constant of air with temperature change?

Knowing the dielectric constant of air with temperature change is important in various fields such as electronics, atmospheric science, and material science. It allows for accurate calculations and predictions of electrical properties and behaviors under different temperature conditions.

How is the dielectric constant of air with temperature change measured?

The dielectric constant of air with temperature change is typically measured using a capacitance-based method where the change in capacitance of a capacitor filled with air is measured at different temperatures. This data is then used to calculate the dielectric constant using the known dimensions of the capacitor and the permittivity of vacuum.