Dielectric constant depression of water?

In summary, the individual is seeking help with their project proposal on calculating the coupling efficiency between a quantum dot and a wire. They are using a paper as a reference, but are interested in using water instead of the suggested surrounding medium with a dielectric constant of 2. They are wondering if there is a way to suppress the dielectric constant, potentially through using salt or getting water at a supercritical phase. Another individual suggests freezing the medium, but the original individual is concerned about the potential negative effects on the cells. They also mention that the dielectric constant is influenced by the frequency of the EM radiation used.
excalibur313
Hey Everyone. I am doing a project proposal where I am calculating the coupling efficiency between a quantum dot and a wire and I need to enter in values for the dielectric constant of the wire and the surrounding medium. I am working off a paper (doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.76.035420) where he uses the dielectric constant for the surrounding medium to be 2. I would like to do this in water (well actually the cytoplasm of a cell which I think is ~50) which has a much higher dielectric constant and unfortunately it seems to kill off the really efficient coupling that I was getting. Does anyone know of a way to suppress the dielectric constant and to somehow quantify how low I can get it? I know salt will depress it, but how much would I expect? I read that if I get water at a supercritical phase I can get it pretty low, but does anyone know of any other way? Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Freezing will help, if you also drop the temperature below 0. Maybe that is what you mean by supercritical phase. Also, the dielectric constant is a function of the frequency of the EM radiation in question, and drops with increasing frequency.

Here is a quote off of the web: "The dielectric constant of ice at 0°C is virtually the same as that of water (88.0), but decreases rapidly with decreasing temperatures below 0°C, and with increasing frequency; by 0.1 MHz, kice ~ 2-4 with little influence of temperature." Source - http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMI/10.5.5.htm

I don;t think freezing is a good idea. It would solidify the medium and render the cells immobile

Related to Dielectric constant depression of water?

1. What is the dielectric constant of water?

The dielectric constant of water is a measure of its ability to store electrical energy. It is approximately 80 at room temperature and decreases as the temperature increases.

2. What causes the dielectric constant of water to decrease?

The dielectric constant of water decreases when certain substances, such as salts or acids, are dissolved in it. This is known as dielectric constant depression.

3. How does dielectric constant depression affect the properties of water?

Dielectric constant depression causes water to have a lower ability to store electrical energy. This can impact various physical and chemical properties, such as boiling point, freezing point, and viscosity, as well as the behavior of ions and molecules in solution.

4. What are some applications of understanding dielectric constant depression of water?

Understanding dielectric constant depression of water is important in fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. It can be used to predict and control the behavior of substances in solution, design efficient electrolytic processes, and develop new materials and technologies.

5. Can the dielectric constant of water be changed?

Yes, the dielectric constant of water can be changed by altering the temperature, pressure, or composition of the water. For example, increasing the temperature or adding substances that cause ionization can decrease the dielectric constant, while adding polar substances can increase it.