Dielectric Charges: Polarization or Dielectricity?

In summary, when bound charges in a dielectric align themselves in an electric field, it is called polarization. This is also known as dielectricity, where the charges act as small magnets and turn to align with the electric field.
Yosty22

Homework Statement

When the bound charges in a dielectric arrange themselves in an electric field, this is called:
A) Bound Charge Alignment
B) Dielectricity
C) Polarization
D) Reactance

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this is a straightforward question, but I just need clarification. My book doesn't directly define any of these terms, so I looked it up online. And from what I could find on Dielectric Materials, Dielectricity causes polarization of the electrons so that they arrange themselves in an electric field.

So I believe the answer is Polarization, but is this correct? Is it Dielectricity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Polarization is correct. Think of the charges as small magnets. They each have a positive and a negative pole, but they aren't turned in any specific order, so it's all random.
When the dielectric is placed under influence from an electric field, all the charges will turn, so that the negative charge points towards the positive part of the electric field and vice versa. Thus you have "polarized" the charges.

Likes 1 person

Related to Dielectric Charges: Polarization or Dielectricity?

1. What is dielectric polarization?

Dielectric polarization is the process by which the electric charges within a dielectric material are redistributed in response to an external electric field. This results in the creation of an induced dipole moment within the material, which affects its overall electrical properties.

2. How does dielectric polarization differ from electrical conductivity?

Electrical conductivity refers to a material's ability to conduct electric current, while dielectric polarization refers to its ability to store and redistribute electric charges. In other words, conductivity is related to the movement of charges, while polarization is related to the alignment of charges.

3. What is the role of dielectric materials in capacitors?

Dielectric materials are used in capacitors to increase the capacitance (ability to store charge) of the device. When placed between the conducting plates of a capacitor, the dielectric material reduces the electric field between the plates, allowing for a greater charge to be stored.

4. Can dielectric materials be used to shield against electric fields?

Yes, dielectric materials can be used to shield against electric fields. When placed between a source of electric field and an object, the dielectric material can absorb and redirect the electric field lines, reducing the overall electric field in the area.

5. How does temperature affect dielectric polarization?

Temperature can affect dielectric polarization in several ways. In some materials, an increase in temperature can lead to a decrease in polarization due to the increased thermal motion of the molecules. On the other hand, some materials may exhibit an increase in polarization with increasing temperature, known as the Curie-Weiss law.