Did viruses exist before there were bacteria?

• Thread starter SpaceGuy50
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bacteria
In summary, viruses are thought to have evolved from parasite bacteria or bits of raw nucleic acid and require other living organisms to proliferate. They may have contributed to the invention of sexual reproduction and it is likely that they showed up very early on in the evolution of life. Viruses require the molecular machinery and building blocks of another organism to replicate, but provide their own DNA or RNA. Bacteriophages, viruses, and plasmids probably evolved from self-replicating genes known as transposons. The exact role of viruses in the origin of life is still unclear.
SpaceGuy50
Did viruses exist before bacteria ever existed on Earth?

Biology news on Phys.org
No, viruses (virii?) need bacteria to live.
They probably evolved from parasite bacteria or even from bits of raw nucleic acid that got out of bacteria cells.

mgb_phys said:
No, viruses (virii?) need bacteria to live.
They probably evolved from parasite bacteria or even from bits of raw nucleic acid that got out of bacteria cells.

That's a new one on me. They simply need some other living organisms to proliferate, don't they?

Your point seems reasonable though. I've taken it as nearly axiomatic.

Phrak said:
That's a new one on me. They simply need some other living organisms to proliferate, don't they?
They need cells and the only cells around at the time were bacteria. Virus now infect just about everything.

mgb_phys said:
They need cells and the only cells around at the time were bacteria. Virus now infect just about everything.

OK. Got it.

Consider some RNA split-off from a parent bacteria--our progenator viral cell. The mechanisms by which it proliferates is contained in the species of organism from which it split. It becomes a predator, or parasite upon the relatives from which it sprang.

Phrak said:
It becomes a predator, or parasite upon the relatives from which it sprang.
They do have some good points, they swapped a lot of genes with early cells and may even have contributed to inventing sexual reproduction.

mgb_phys said:
They do have some good points, they swapped a lot of genes with early cells and may even have contributed to inventing sexual reproduction.

Now that's interesting. It seems you're ahead of me.

I was considering what the equivalent protogenic software would be like on a computer. Most likely it would be a corruption (mutation) of some elements of the supervisory program. The difference, as it stands today, is that most supervisory corruptions don't have the opportunity to proliferate to supervisories elsewhere.

mgb_phys said:
No, viruses (virii?)

Viruses. There is no plural for the Latin virus[/url]. Since it is now an English word with a different meaning and usage, the English rules for pluralization apply.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/virus#Latin

the rna world hypothesis suggests that rna molecules were able to survive and reproduce before bacteria existed.

Do I have this right? Do all viruses require the DNA or RNA of another organism to synthesize molecular elements to construct their own structure?

Phrak said:
Do I have this right? Do all viruses require the DNA or RNA of another organism to synthesize molecular elements to construct their own structure?

Viruses require the molecular machinery and building blocks of another organism to replicate (i.e. enzymes, nucleotides, amino acids). They provide their own DNA or RNA. To address the original question, almost by definition "bacteria" would have to have existed before any phage (a bacterial virus) because of a phage's inability to independently self-replicate. However, it seems logical to me that the earliest true viruses probably showed up very early on, taking the form of self-replicating genes that could insert themselves into the nucleic acid polymers of early protocells. Today, these self-replicating genes are known as transposons and are found in all forms of life. In my opinion, bacteriophages, viruses, and plasmids probably evolved from these early "genetic parasites".

jamesv87 said:
Viruses require the molecular machinery and building blocks of another organism to replicate (i.e. enzymes, nucleotides, amino acids). They provide their own DNA or RNA. To address the original question, almost by definition "bacteria" would have to have existed before any phage (a bacterial virus) because of a phage's inability to independently self-replicate. However, it seems logical to me that the earliest true viruses probably showed up very early on, taking the form of self-replicating genes that could insert themselves into the nucleic acid polymers of early protocells. Today, these self-replicating genes are known as transposons and are found in all forms of life. In my opinion, bacteriophages, viruses, and plasmids probably evolved from these early "genetic parasites".

Thanks james. That's what I'd gathered, but wasn't sure. This close association would almost demand that viruses were the 'unexpected' prodigy of what would become their first hosts, wouldn't it?

Obviously, abiogenesis is still unclear.

Here's an interesting article by Zimmer from Science a few years back about how viruses may have helped shape life: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/sci;312/5775/870

Related to Did viruses exist before there were bacteria?

1. Did viruses exist before there were bacteria?

There is still debate among scientists about the origin of viruses and their relationship to bacteria. Some researchers believe that viruses and bacteria evolved together and have always existed alongside each other. Others suggest that viruses may have emerged before bacteria, possibly even predating the split between prokaryotes and eukaryotes.

2. How did viruses evolve?

The exact origins of viruses are still a mystery, but one theory suggests that they may have evolved from small pieces of genetic material that were able to move between cells. These genetic elements may have gained the ability to infect and replicate within host cells, eventually giving rise to the diverse array of viruses we see today.

3. Can viruses survive without a host cell?

Unlike bacteria, viruses cannot survive or replicate outside of a host cell. They are considered obligate intracellular parasites, meaning they require a host to carry out their life cycle. Outside of a host, viruses are essentially inert and do not exhibit characteristics of living organisms.

4. Did viruses play a role in the evolution of bacteria?

Some scientists believe that viruses may have played a significant role in the evolution of bacteria. Viruses can transfer genetic material between bacterial cells, leading to genetic diversity and potentially driving evolution. Additionally, some viruses can infect bacteria and alter their behavior, potentially influencing their evolution.

5. How do viruses interact with bacteria?

Viruses and bacteria can interact in various ways. Some viruses are able to infect bacteria, while others can transfer genetic material between bacterial cells. Additionally, bacteria have evolved various defense mechanisms against viruses, such as CRISPR-Cas systems. The relationship between viruses and bacteria is complex and continues to be an area of active research.