Did the Milky Way Have a Galactic Collision in the Past?

• Thread starter Aidyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    milky way
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, colliding with other galaxies, specifically the Andromeda galaxy. There is evidence that smaller dwarf galaxies have merged with the Milky Way, but the Andromeda galaxy is currently moving towards our galaxy and will pass through it in the future. It is debated whether this collision would have any major effects on life, as most of the disruption would be caused by gravitational forces rather than physical collisions between stars. There is also discussion about the formation of spiral galaxies through merging and the potential for devastating effects on life from galactic encounters.
Aidyan
I'm wondering if there is any evidence that our own Galaxy 'crashed' with other Galaxies in the past (e.g. with the Andormeda Galaxy?). Is there any evidence for this? Googled... but couldn't find much. If so can someone point me at some research on this?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
My understanding is that the Andromeda galaxy is moving toward our galaxy and will pass through it some time (millions of years- I wouldn't worry about it!) in the future so has NOT passed through it in the past.

I also seem to recall (people with better knowledge can correct this) that the distance between stars in both galaxies is so great that there would be relatively little disturbance in either galaxy.

HallsofIvy said:
My understanding is that the Andromeda galaxy is moving toward our galaxy and will pass through it some time (millions of years- I wouldn't worry about it!) in the future so has NOT passed through it in the past.

I also seem to recall (people with better knowledge can correct this) that the distance between stars in both galaxies is so great that there would be relatively little disturbance in either galaxy.
Millions?? I hope you mean billions, since 'millions' would be just 'tomorrow' in evolutionary time. Sure, stars do not collide in such a 'collision-less' encounter, but I'm not at all sure that it would have no dynamical effects. Just look at the pictures of other colliding galaxies.

HallsofIvy said:

A collision between two galaxies would not be like a collision in a normal sense as most of the disruption would be caused not be physical collisions between stars and stuff but by the gravitational mayhem as the galaxies gravitational fields move through each other.

Aidyan said:
I'm wondering if there is any evidence that our own Galaxy 'crashed' with other Galaxies in the past (e.g. with the Andormeda Galaxy?). Is there any evidence for this? Googled... but couldn't find much. If so can someone point me at some research on this?

Yes, we have evidence that several dwarf galaxies have merged (or are in the process of merging) with our galaxy. See, for example, the Sagittarius dwarf galaxy.

Aidyan said:
Millions?? I hope you mean billions, since 'millions' would be just 'tomorrow' in evolutionary time. Sure, stars do not collide in such a 'collision-less' encounter, but I'm not at all sure that it would have no dynamical effects. Just look at the pictures of other colliding galaxies.

Right, STARS don't, but galaxies do. Very few stars in either galaxy will have actual collisions, although some solar systems will be perturbed.

EDIT: hm ... I think I may have misunderstood your post. Perhaps you were already saying that stars don't?

Yes, star's don't collide. But I think that nevertheless a galactic encounter could have devastating effects on life. For example the tidal perturbation would probably trigger huge comet 'showers' from the Oort cloud.

Aidyan said:
Yes, star's don't collide. But I think that nevertheless a galactic encounter could have devastating effects on life. For example the tidal perturbation would probably trigger huge comet 'showers' from the Oort cloud.

Yeah, sure could be. It IS surprizing though how empty galaxies are.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda–Milky_Way_collision
While the Andromeda Galaxy contains about one trillion (1012) stars and the Milky Way contains about three hundred billion (3x1011); the chance of even two stars colliding is negligible because of the huge distances between each star. For example, the nearest star to the Sun is Proxima Centauri, about 3x107 solar diameters (4x1013 km or 4.2 ly) away. If the Sun were a ping-pong ball in Paris, the equivalent Proxima Centauri would be a pea-sized ball in Berlin (and our galaxy would be about 1.9x107 km wide, about a third of the distance to Mars).

Right now I think that there is a dwarf galaxy called the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy that is colliding with the Milky Way. I think that some theories for the formation of spiral galaxies consist of older galaxies merging together and forming the central bulge, which is full of older stars, and then the violence of that interaction causes the spiral arms to form.

Related to Did the Milky Way Have a Galactic Collision in the Past?

1. What is a "Milky Way Galactic encounter"?

A "Milky Way Galactic encounter" refers to the event when our galaxy, the Milky Way, interacts with another galaxy, often resulting in a merger or collision between the two galaxies.

2. How often do "Milky Way Galactic encounters" occur?

It is estimated that the Milky Way has a galactic encounter with another galaxy approximately once every billion years.

3. What are the potential effects of a "Milky Way Galactic encounter" on our solar system?

A "Milky Way Galactic encounter" can potentially disrupt the orbits of objects in our solar system, leading to changes in the climate and possibly even extinction events for some species. However, it can also bring in new gas and dust, which can lead to the formation of new stars and planets.

4. Are there any "Milky Way Galactic encounters" currently happening?

Yes, the Milky Way is currently in the process of merging with the Andromeda galaxy, a process that is expected to take place over the next few billion years.

5. What can studying "Milky Way Galactic encounters" tell us about the evolution of galaxies?

Studying "Milky Way Galactic encounters" can provide valuable insights into how galaxies evolve over time, as well as the processes that drive galaxy mergers and collisions. It can also help us understand the formation and evolution of our own galaxy, the Milky Way.