Did I Prove the Vector Proof Assignment Correctly?

In summary, Evan was worried that he might have messed up on his assignment and began to wonder if he did the problem correctly. He found a helpful thread on physics forums and learned that if vectors are perpendicular, then their dot product is equal to zero. After learning this he was able to prove it backwards.
EDavis
Hi there, I had an assignment due today for my advanced maths class, I've already handed it in, but seeing what other people did I began to worry/wonder about what I did.

The question was pretty simple:

For non-zero vectors show that:
|a - b| = |a + b| if and only if venctors a and b are perpendicular.

I defined them both as different single letters, just to make things easier.
a + b = c
a - b = dThen I used the dot product on them both:

c^2 = (a + b) o (a + b)
c^2 = |a + b| |a + b| cos A
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab cos A

In this case A is the angle opposite vector c, ie. the angle between vectors a and b.

d^2 = (a - b) o (a - b)
d^2 = |a - b| |a - b| cos B
d^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2ab cos B

In this case B is the angle opposite vector d, ie. the angle between vectors a and -b.

I then said that in order for |c| to equal |d| the following would have to be true:
cos A = cos B = 0 because otherwise you would have to add/subtract.

Of course it follows from this that A = B = 90 hence a and b are perpendicular if |c| = |d|

I think it's pretty easy to see from that that if they're perpendicular then |c| = |d|, but my maths teachers don't take kindly to the "no duh" argument, they claim that's what proof is all about, so i proved it backwards to show the if and only if statement.

My question is: other people did it using the dot product in a different way to me, does my method make sense? Also, should I have proved it backwards? I could lose marks for having irrelevant lines, but I could've lot lines for missing lines, it's a fine line.

Worried about this because when I did it it was a really easy assignment and I don't want to mess it up :(

Thanks,
Evan

Alright, I removed the tex formatting, as it was too confusing for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The way you did it looks good to me. It's a little confusing since you have more lines than are really necessary when showing what c2 and d2 are, but other than that, it looks fine.

Yes, you should have proven it backwards, because it's an iff statement. Even if it looks obvious that one way implies the other, you should show it

Well, thanks for your answers, didn't notice that other thread, that was useful too :smile:

Incidently, I also got the second part of that question today.

Last edited:

Related to Did I Prove the Vector Proof Assignment Correctly?

1. What is a vector proof assignment?

A vector proof assignment is a task given to students in mathematics or physics courses to demonstrate their understanding of vector operations and properties through the use of logical reasoning and mathematical equations.

2. How do I approach a vector proof assignment?

The best way to approach a vector proof assignment is to first fully understand the given problem and all of its components. Then, use known vector properties and operations to manipulate the equations and equations to prove the given statement.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a vector proof assignment?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a vector proof assignment include not fully understanding the problem, using incorrect vector properties or equations, and not showing all steps and reasoning in the solution.

4. Can I use diagrams or illustrations in a vector proof assignment?

Yes, diagrams and illustrations can be used in a vector proof assignment to help visualize the given problem and to aid in the logical reasoning process. However, they should not be the sole source of information and should be accompanied by mathematical equations and explanations.

5. How can I check my answers for a vector proof assignment?

You can check your answers for a vector proof assignment by plugging in the given values into your equations and ensuring that the result matches the given statement. You can also ask a classmate or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.