Did I misinterpret the sign attached to a term when factoring?

In summary, the mistake in factoring xy+x-2y-2 was due to incorrectly extracting the negative sign from -2y-2, resulting in the incorrect factor of x(y+1)-2(y-1) instead of the correct factor of (x-2)(y+1). When factoring a negative factor, the signs of all terms within the resulting parentheses must be changed.
find_the_fun
I wanted to factor \(\displaystyle xy+x-2y-2\)
I got \(\displaystyle x(y+1)-2(y-1)\) and got stuck

I tried somethings out and noticed \(\displaystyle (x-2)(y+1)=xy+x-2y-2\) so how come I did get stuck? Did I extract the \(\displaystyle 2\) incorrectly with the sign? For example should I have interpreted it at \(\displaystyle -2y-2\) not \(\displaystyle 2y-2\)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
find_the_fun said:
I wanted to factor \(\displaystyle xy+x-2y-2\)
I got \(\displaystyle x(y+1)-2(y-1)\) and got stuck

I tried somethings out and noticed \(\displaystyle (x-2)(y+1)=xy+x-2y-2\) so how come I did get stuck? Did I extract the \(\displaystyle 2\) incorrectly with the sign? For example should I have interpreted it at \(\displaystyle -2y-2\) not \(\displaystyle 2y-2\)?

Yes, you simply factored incorrectly.

\(\displaystyle xy+x-2y-2=x(y+1)-2(y+1)=(x-2)(y+1)\)

When you factor a negative factor from a group of terms, the signs of everything within the resulting parentheses must change.

MarkFL said:
Yes, you simply factored incorrectly.

\(\displaystyle xy+x-2y-2=x(y+1)-2(y+1)=(x-2)(y+1)\)

When you factor a negative factor from a group of terms, the signs of everything within the resulting parentheses must change.

But \(\displaystyle 2y-2\) can be factored to \(\displaystyle 2(y-1)\). Since \(\displaystyle 2y-2\) appears in the equation can't we say \(\displaystyle ...-(2y-2)=...-(2(y-1))\)?

It is $-2y-2$ that appears in the expression...and both terms have $-2$ as a factor. :D

find_the_fun said:
But \(\displaystyle 2y-2\) can be factored to \(\displaystyle 2(y-1)\). Since \(\displaystyle 2y-2\) appears in the equation can't we say \(\displaystyle ...-(2y-2)=...-(2(y-1))\)?

That's the point. \(\displaystyle 2y-2\) does not appear in the equation.
You can read the equation as:
$$xy+x−2y−2 = xy+x+(−2)y+(−2)$$

As you can see $(−2)y+(−2)$ is definitely different from $2y-2$.

From here we can get to:
$$xy+x+(−2)y+(−2) = x(y+1)+(−2)(y+1)$$

Which can also be written as:
$$x(y+1)−2(y+1)$$

I guess I see what I did wrong, I did something like, took a -2 inserted a bracket and pretend it was positive. I try to understand exactly what went wrong in hopes of not making the same mistake again.

Related to Did I misinterpret the sign attached to a term when factoring?

1. Did I make a mistake if I factored the term incorrectly?

It is possible that you may have made a mistake. It is important to carefully check your work to ensure that the term was factored correctly.

2. How can I tell if I misinterpreted the sign when factoring?

If the final result of your factoring does not match the original term, it is likely that you misinterpreted the sign. Additionally, you can check your work by expanding the factored term and seeing if it matches the original term.

3. Is it common to misinterpret the sign when factoring?

It is not uncommon to misinterpret the sign when factoring, especially if the term is complex and involves multiple variables and exponents. However, with practice and careful attention to detail, you can improve your accuracy in factoring.

4. What should I do if I realize I misinterpreted the sign after factoring?

If you realize that you misinterpreted the sign after factoring, you should go back and correct your mistake. This may involve re-factoring the term or adjusting your work to account for the mistake.

5. Are there any tips for avoiding misinterpreting the sign when factoring?

One helpful tip is to double-check your work as you go. This can help catch any mistakes before they become bigger issues. Additionally, practicing factoring and becoming familiar with common patterns and techniques can also help improve accuracy and reduce the likelihood of misinterpreting the sign.