Did I just create a coin tossing paradox?

• Thread starter cgskook
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the Gibson's Coin Paradox discusses the probabilities of getting at least one tail when using two coins versus one coin, both with the same method of dropping them into buckets. The paradox lies in the fact that even though the coins are indistinguishable, the probabilities are not the same. This leads to a discussion about universal consciousness and the role of metaphysics in quantum mechanics.
cgskook
Gibson's Coin Paradox:

You have 2 coins with you. There is absolutely no way that you can tell the difference between them. The coins are fair, meaning the chances of getting heads is equal to the chance of getting tails so a 50% vs. 50% chance.

You put on a blindfold and drop the coins, one in each hand, into 2 separate buckets.
What is the chance that there will be at least 1 tail in your results?
The outcomes are the following:

Bucket 1: Bucket 2:
H H
H T *
T H *
T T *

The bottom 3 results satisfy the rule of there being at least one tail, there are 4 possibilities, therefore it is a 3/4 chance that there will be at least 1 tail.

However*:

You now conduct a similar experiment using only one bucket and the same coins. Now you are going to drop the coins into the same bucket using the same method as before.
The outcomes are the following:

Bucket 1:
H and H
Opposite *
T and T *

Now because the coins are indistinguishable order does not matter in the results. This combines 2 of the values into one making there only be 3 possibilities. Now 2 of the results satisfy the rule of there being at least 1 tail, there are 3 outcomes, therefore it is a 2/3 chance that there will be at least 1 tail.

Can we agree that the probabilities of these should be the same? And that's where the paradox lies, because the probabilities are not the same.

If there is any way to distinguish the coins your are more likely (3/4) to satisfy the "at least one tail rule" than if they coins are not distinguishable (2/3).

Thoughts, opinions, and comments ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your first example why is there not a TT outcome?

For your second, even thou you cannot distinguish between the coins there is still 2 ways to get a HT. So even if you cannot tell HT from TH they remain 2 possible outcomes.

phinds said:
I don't know what you're talking about but I'd guess you're skating on thin ice here. This is a physics forum, not a religious one.

LOL I am the most strongly opinionated atheist that you will ever know. It's a theory that I have considered, not a religious belief. Look up "Schrödinger's cat"

cgskook said:
Have you ever heard of Universal consciousness?

Not since they invented the Internet.

cgskook said:
LOL I am the most strongly opinionated atheist that you will ever know. It's a theory that I have considered, not a religious belief. Look up "Schrödinger's cat"

Are you referring to the idea that the apparent multiplicity of selves is an illusion? Is there more to it than a purely metaphysical interpretation of quantum mechanics?

cgskook said:
Have you ever heard of Universal consciousness?
Thread locked.

Pending moderation? Probably not. It's not a coin toss.

Related to Did I just create a coin tossing paradox?

1. What is a coin tossing paradox?

A coin tossing paradox is a scenario in which the outcome of a coin toss appears to be contradictory or impossible, despite the fact that the coin toss is a random event with only two possible outcomes (heads or tails).

2. How is a coin tossing paradox created?

A coin tossing paradox can be created by manipulating the conditions of the coin toss, such as using a biased coin or changing the rules of the game. It can also be created by misinterpreting the results of the coin toss.

3. What are some examples of coin tossing paradoxes?

One example of a coin tossing paradox is the St. Petersburg paradox, in which a player can theoretically win an infinite amount of money by betting on the outcome of a series of coin tosses. Another example is the paradox of the two envelopes, in which two envelopes contain different amounts of money and the player must choose between them based on the outcome of a coin toss.

4. How can a coin tossing paradox be resolved?

A coin tossing paradox can be resolved by carefully examining the conditions and assumptions of the scenario. In some cases, the paradox can be resolved by changing the conditions or rules of the game. In other cases, the paradox may be unresolvable and simply highlights the limitations of our understanding of probability.

5. Is it possible to create a true coin tossing paradox?

No, it is not possible to create a true coin tossing paradox. A true paradox would involve a logical contradiction, which is impossible in the case of a coin toss. However, coin tossing paradoxes can still be interesting and thought-provoking puzzles that challenge our understanding of probability and randomness.