Did I draw the moments correct in a shelter? (engineering)

In summary, the conversation discusses analyzing a shelter with vertical and horizontal loads. The individual is unsure if the drawn moments (represented by black arrows) are correct and is seeking help. They also mention a diagram that is unavailable and suggest identifying axes and expressing forces and moments in relation to them before combining them vectorially.
1Lisa

Homework Statement

I had to analyze a shelter with a vertical load and 2 horizontal loads, the picture I added is for a vertical load (eg snowload: action) I needed to draw the moments that are mainly there..(black arrows M1-M8) are they correct?
and it's fixed

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/93454

or is this one correct? I think that this one is more correct:
Momentdirectionshelter.jpg
[/B]

Attachments

• shelter.jpg
    shelter.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please help me out with this?? :(

Diagram doesn't show where horizontal loads are applied. Diagram 93454 was unobtainable. It would probably help to identify x, y and z axes, and to express forces and moments in relation to those axes. At the end, the various components of force or moment can be combined vectorially.

Related to Did I draw the moments correct in a shelter? (engineering)

1. What is the importance of drawing moments correctly in a shelter?

Drawing moments correctly in a shelter is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and stability of the shelter. Moments refer to the forces that act on the shelter, and accurate drawings help engineers determine the appropriate materials and design to withstand these forces.

2. How do you determine the correct moments to draw in a shelter?

The correct moments to draw in a shelter can be determined through mathematical calculations and simulations. Engineers use the principles of statics and structural analysis to analyze the forces acting on the shelter and determine the appropriate moments to include in the drawing.

3. Can incorrect moments in a shelter drawing lead to structural failure?

Yes, incorrect moments in a shelter drawing can lead to structural failure. If the moments are not accurately represented, the shelter may not be able to withstand the forces acting on it, leading to collapse or damage. It is essential to have precise and detailed drawings to ensure the safety and stability of the shelter.

4. What factors should be considered when drawing moments in a shelter?

When drawing moments in a shelter, factors such as the location and intended use of the shelter, the materials being used, and the local climate and weather conditions should be taken into account. These factors can affect the forces acting on the shelter and the design and materials needed to withstand them.

5. How often should moments be checked and updated in a shelter drawing?

Moments should be checked and updated regularly throughout the design and construction process of a shelter. Changes in design or materials may require updates to the moments in the drawing. Additionally, moments should be re-evaluated after any major structural repairs or modifications to ensure the continued safety and stability of the shelter.