Did I do the nodal analysis right?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where the task is to find I(x) using nodal and mesh analysis methods. The conversation also includes a discussion of Cramer's rule and the use of substitution to check the answer. Ultimately, the problem is solved using mesh analysis, with the correct solution of I(x) being -0.1A.
asdf12312
can someone confirm i did this rite:

Homework Statement

Find I(x)
1zgxh14.png

Homework Equations

see the next part please

The Attempt at a Solution

16jhp47.png

using nodal analysis method i have 2 nodes and these are the equations i got for each, after simplification:

V1: (5/2)V1-V2=21
V2: (5/2)V2-V1=10.5

Using cramer's law, this is matrix i got when i plugged in above equations:

| 5 -2 | |V1| = |42|
| -2 5 | |V2| = |21|

V1=[(42*5)-(21*-2)/(5*5)-(-2*-2)]=12V
V2=[(5*21)-(-2*42)/(5*5)-(-2*-2)]=9V

now recognize that I(x)=V2/10, i got I(x)=0.9A.

so my question is two-part: 1st, did i do this rite? 2nd, is there easier way to solve for I(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think you'll want to check the polarity of the 10.5V source, then verify your equations.

With only two equations in two unknowns it may be faster to solve by substitution rather than fire up the Cramer's Rule machinery :smile:

yeah your rite, i didnt see that. since the sign of the 10.5 is opposite all i have to do is negate the 21 in the matrix. so solving i get V1=8 and V2=-1. so I(x)=-0.1A?

and btw i did do substitution to check my answer but i wanted to try out cramer's rule to see that i could do it correctly. and in my 1st try i did get the same answers for both methods.

asdf12312 said:
yeah your rite, i didnt see that. since the sign of the 10.5 is opposite all i have to do is negate the 21 in the matrix. so solving i get V1=8 and V2=-1. so I(x)=-0.1A?
That looks better :smile:
and btw i did do substitution to check my answer but i wanted to try out cramer's rule to see that i could do it correctly. and in my 1st try i did get the same answers for both methods.
Well that's fine then.

my teacher wants me to solve I(x) with mesh analysis so i can prove i can use another method to get the same answer, however I'm having trouble. would apreciate if u could tell me what i am doing wrong:

mesh 1: 15(I1)-10(I2)=21
mesh 2: -10(I1)+25(I2)-10(I3)=0
mesh 3: -10(I2)+15(I3)=10.5

i am going under the assumption that I(x) is equal to -I3. my matrix is:

|15 -10 0| |I1)=|21|
|-10 25 -10| |I2|=|0|
|0 -10 15| |I3|=|10.5|

but when i solve this, i get a weird answer, 1.9A for I3. and I know I(x) is supposed to be -0.1A. can u tell me what i am doing wrong??

Last edited:
It would appear that the problem lies with your assumption about Ix; Ix is comprised of a suitable sum of the two mesh currents that flow through it.

thanks your rite, i got it. I(x)=I2-I3=1.8-1.9=-0.1A

Related to Did I do the nodal analysis right?

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method commonly used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current values at different nodes in a circuit.

2. How do I perform nodal analysis?

To perform nodal analysis, you need to identify all the nodes in the circuit and write Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each node. Then, use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown voltages and currents at each node.

3. What is the purpose of nodal analysis?

The purpose of nodal analysis is to determine the voltage and current values at different nodes in a circuit, which can help in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits.

4. What are some common mistakes when performing nodal analysis?

Some common mistakes when performing nodal analysis include forgetting to include all the nodes in the circuit, incorrect application of Kirchhoff's Current Law, and incorrect algebraic manipulation of equations.

5. How can I check if I did the nodal analysis correctly?

You can check if you did the nodal analysis correctly by verifying that the equations you wrote satisfy Kirchhoff's Current Law and by solving for the unknown variables and checking if the values make sense in the context of the circuit.