Did I Calculate My Funds Distribution Correctly?

• MHB
  • Thread starter SJSuser
  • Start date
In summary, the individual wants to distribute the CD to the other three trusts equally, with their own share coming out of their individual account. They back out the CD from their individual account in order to do this, and then want to calculate their share of the CD and cash distribution. The individual doesn't understand the math for subtracting the CD from their individual share of the total money, and is worried that this will result in them losing the Trust money.
SJSuser
I have to make a distribution of Funds. The Funds are X and include cash and a cd if which if cashed in now would be at present value 78,572.32
because of early withdrawal penalty but it was 80,000 invested initially. Funds X will be later added to Funds Y . The funds must be split four ways. I am one of the four. A, B, C, D . I am D . I don't want to cash the cd in because 1,428 or the difference between 78,572.38 and 80,000 would be lost. I want to contribute 1428 of my own funds in acct E nothing to do with A B C or D to make it 80,000 or the orginal amt invested and then have my cash share D to be 1/4 X minus 80,000 cd plus Y. Does that look right? I will take the cd over to my D account . Fair ? Did I do the math correctly?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let me see if I have this right- You have a total amount of "X" that includes the current $78,572.32 in the CD- so apparently X- 78,572.32 in cash. I recommend this: first explain everything and what you are going to do so you won't have three people angry with you, then give each person (X- $78,572.32)/4, their share of the cash. Then later, after the CD has matured, give each person $80,000/4= $20,000.

HallsofIvy said:
Let me see if I have this right- You have a total amount of "X" that includes the current $78,572.32 in the CD- so apparently X- 78,572.32 in cash. I recommend this: first explain everything and what you are going to do so you won't have three people angry with you, then give each person (X- $78,572.32)/4, their share of the cash. Then later, after the CD has matured, give each person $80,000/4= $20,000.
Thank you for your help. I must as Trustee distribute the cd now by law and all monies in the Trust to the 4 other Trusts equally, one of which is mine and file a final return for the deceased’s Trust 3.5 months after. I first took 1428 out of my individual acct and added it to the Trust acct holding the cd to make 80000 so as to put the cd in my Trust and hold it to maturity and I would give myself 80000 less in cash distribution from the total corpus. But I backed that 1428 out today because I am now out 1428 to get 80000. I don't see anyway but to cash the cd in for 78,582. If i keep it that is not fair to the other Trusts and if contribute 1428 to the Trust and take the cd to my Trust I am paying for it and i really got 78,582. The cd is a part of a larger Trust corpus which must be distributed 4 ways. I just don't get the math. I’ll just lose the Trust 1428. The cd is a small part of the Trust’s corpus. I thought I could give the trust 1428 from my individual money and take the cd and then subtract 80,000 from the total cash I get. My math is off somewhere. I’ll just cash the cd in early and lose the 1428 and interest. I can't hold it outside my Trust and it must be distributed now to close out the Trust and dissolve it. I am the only one with a Trust acct that can take the transferred cd. There should be a mathematical formula that can be used for all this tangled up money. I need to dissolve the Trust asap. I thought giving the Trust my money the 1428 would work but I don't know the math to subtract that cd from my 1/4 share of the total money because it’s not just 80,000 is it? I would have paid 1428 for the benefit of eventual 80,000 and that is not fair to me?

Related to Did I Calculate My Funds Distribution Correctly?

1. How do I calculate my funds distribution correctly?

To calculate your funds distribution correctly, you will need to have a clear understanding of your income, expenses, and any other financial obligations. Start by adding up all of your income sources, such as salary, investments, and any other sources. Then, subtract your expenses, including bills, rent, and any other regular payments. The remaining amount is what you have available for distribution.

2. What factors should I consider when calculating my funds distribution?

When calculating your funds distribution, it is important to consider your current financial goals and priorities. This may include saving for retirement, paying off debt, or building an emergency fund. You should also take into account any unexpected expenses that may arise in the future.

3. How often should I recalculate my funds distribution?

It is recommended to recalculate your funds distribution at least once a year or whenever there is a significant change in your financial situation. This will ensure that your distribution aligns with your current goals and priorities.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when calculating their funds distribution?

One common mistake is not accounting for all sources of income or underestimating expenses. It is also important to consider any potential changes in income or expenses in the future. Another mistake is not revisiting and adjusting the distribution regularly, which can lead to a misalignment with financial goals.

5. How can I ensure that I have calculated my funds distribution correctly?

To ensure that you have calculated your funds distribution correctly, it is helpful to seek the advice of a financial advisor or use a budgeting tool. Additionally, regularly reviewing and adjusting your distribution can help you stay on track and make any necessary changes.