Did Bobby Fischer's Life Mirror the Chess Board He Mastered?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, renowned chess player Bobby Fischer has passed away at the age of 64. Although he may not have been revered as a person, his exceptional skills on the chessboard were a great loss. Fischer was known as a child prodigy and became a world champion before the age of 30, triumphing in a Cold War showdown with Soviet champion Boris Spassky. Despite his brilliance in chess, his personal life often overshadowed his achievements. Many remember Fischer during the height of the Cold War when chess received as much media coverage as the moon landings. He will be missed by many, including fellow chess players who admired his talent and contribution to the game.
Werg22
GM Bobby Fischer passed away today. He was maybe not revered as a person, but the chess player was exceptional; a great loss indeed. RIP is all I can say.

"Chess," Bobby Fischer once said, "is life." It was the chess master's tragedy that the messy, tawdry details of his life often overshadowed the sublime genius of his game. Fischer, who has died at the age of 64, was a child prodigy, a teenage grandmaster and — before age 30 — a world champion who triumphed in a Cold War showdown with Soviet champion Boris Spassky.

More here: http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/01/18/1236873-chess-master-bobby-fischer-dead-at-64"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I remember the heady days of cold war chess very well. There was a time when chess got nearly as much press coverage as the moon landings, and Fisher was usually right in the middle of it!

RIP Bobby Fischer: Checkmate.

Ivan, all of these people are dying and they aren't much older than us.

I know.

The one that really got me was Gilligan. :cry::cry::cry: I will always think of Denver as a dorky kid.

RIP Bobby Fischer, the first truly born in the USA GM and one of the best :smile:

Nutty guy. Sad for such a smart guy to disgrace himself and his country.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was 64? How many squares are on a chess board?

Related to Did Bobby Fischer's Life Mirror the Chess Board He Mastered?

1. What caused the death of Bobby Fischer at 64?

Bobby Fischer died due to a rare form of kidney failure, known as end-stage renal disease.

2. Did Bobby Fischer have any underlying health conditions?

Yes, Bobby Fischer suffered from several health issues, including high blood pressure and diabetes, which were contributing factors to his kidney failure.

3. How did Bobby Fischer's death impact the world of chess?

Bobby Fischer's death was a great loss to the world of chess as he was considered one of the greatest chess players of all time. His death also sparked a renewed interest in the game and his legacy continues to influence and inspire chess players around the world.

4. What were some of Bobby Fischer's notable achievements in chess?

Bobby Fischer became the youngest grandmaster at the age of 15 and is most famous for defeating Soviet chess champion Boris Spassky in the 1972 World Chess Championship, ending the Soviet Union's 24-year reign in the game.

5. How will Bobby Fischer be remembered in the history of chess?

Bobby Fischer will always be remembered as a brilliant and controversial figure in the world of chess. He pushed the boundaries of the game and inspired a new generation of chess players. Despite his personal struggles, he will be remembered for his exceptional talent and contributions to the game.

Back