Dick Fosbury who invented the Fosbury Flop has died at 76

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, Fosbury was a highly influential competitor in the high jump, credited with revolutionizing the event through his "Fosbury flop" technique. After his career in sports, he became an engineer and remained involved in various sports organizations. His technique was so impressive that it even inspired others to try it in different events, such as the pole vault.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CNN story here.
Fosbury was known as one of the most influential competitors in the history of the high jump, as his "Fosbury flop" technique revolutionized the event.
After competing, he became an engineer and was active in various sports organizations.

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 10.29.10 AM.png

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes Lnewqban, dlgoff, Astronuc and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
My sister, who competed in track and field, and I watched a telecast of Fosbury performing his graceful flop to win a pole vault or high jump competition. She raced outside to tell her friends and practice this astonishing maneuver.

Likes dlgoff, Astronuc and BillTre
Klystron said:
I watched a telecast of Fosbury performing his graceful flop to win a pole vault or high jump competition.
He used the flop in the pole vault too? I hadn't heard of that...

Related to Dick Fosbury who invented the Fosbury Flop has died at 76

1. Who was Dick Fosbury?

Dick Fosbury was an American high jumper who revolutionized the sport with his innovative jumping technique known as the Fosbury Flop.

2. What is the Fosbury Flop?

The Fosbury Flop is a high jumping technique where the athlete jumps over the bar backwards, arching their back and clearing the bar with their head and shoulders.

3. How did Dick Fosbury come up with the Fosbury Flop?

Dick Fosbury developed the Fosbury Flop technique in the 1960s while he was a student at Oregon State University. He experimented with different jumping styles and found that jumping backwards allowed him to clear higher heights.

4. What impact did the Fosbury Flop have on the sport of high jump?

The Fosbury Flop revolutionized the sport of high jump and became the dominant technique used by athletes. It allowed for higher jumps and led to many world records being broken.

5. How did Dick Fosbury's legacy live on after his death?

Dick Fosbury's legacy continues to live on through the Fosbury Flop technique, which is still used by high jumpers today. He also inspired future generations of athletes to think outside the box and innovate in their own sports.