Diameter of an atom from density

In summary, the conversation discusses the density, mass number, and atomic number of copper, and how to calculate the mass of a copper atom, the number of electrons and protons in a copper atom, and the diameter of a copper atom from this data. The solution involves using the mass number to calculate the mass, and using the density to estimate the diameter. The issue of whether energy formed from mass has weight is also brought up.
ombudsmansect

Homework Statement

1 The density of copper is 8930 kg m-3, its mass number is 63.55 and its atomic number is 29.
a) Calculate the mass of a copper atom in kg.
b) How may electrons and protons does a copper atom have?
c) Estimate the diameter of a copper atom from this data.

Homework Equations

(4/3)(pi)r^3

The Attempt at a Solution

Just need to confirm that when calculating the mass in part a) i can just use its mass number or should i add up the individual mass of nucleons. i know that this will eb more than the atomic mass here but does that energy have weight or not? I am uncertain as to wether energy formed from mass has weight or what.

The main issue though is part c) i just figure that i will use the weight from a) to find a volume using the density and hence calculate the diameter tho this is rather crude, any other way of doing this i don't know about? all help greatly appreciated thanks guys :D

Physics news on Phys.org
ombudsmansect said:
Just need to confirm that when calculating the mass in part a) i can just use its mass number

Yes, you can.

ombudsmansect said:
The main issue though is part c) i just figure that i will use the weight from a) to find a volume using the density and hence calculate the diameter

It is not weight but mass, but the method you outlined should be all right.

ehild

Related to Diameter of an atom from density

What is the diameter of an atom and how is it related to density?

The diameter of an atom is the distance between the outermost electrons and the nucleus. It is related to density because as the number of electrons and protons increase, the density of the atom also increases.

How is the diameter of an atom measured?

The diameter of an atom is measured using various techniques such as X-ray diffraction or atomic force microscopy. These methods allow scientists to observe the size of an atom on a microscopic level.

What is the relationship between the diameter of an atom and its mass?

The diameter of an atom is directly proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an atom increases, its diameter also increases.

Does the density of an atom affect its diameter?

Yes, the density of an atom directly affects its diameter. As the density increases, the diameter of the atom also increases. This is because the number of particles within the atom increases, leading to a larger overall size.

Can the diameter of an atom be changed?

The diameter of an atom cannot be changed as it is a physical property of the atom. However, the diameter of an atom can vary depending on the element and its atomic structure.