Diamagnetism Mechanism: Questions Answered

In summary, the conversation discusses diamagnetism in matter and the attached picture shows diagrams representing the effect of a magnetic field on orbiting electrons around a nucleus. The questions include whether spin also contributes to diamagnetism and what models are possible. It is suggested that the text the pictures were obtained from should provide explanations or a reference should be found. The OP expresses gratitude for the time taken to decipher their handwriting.
gianeshwar
Friends! I have some things unclear about diamagnetism in matter.Please see attached picture.

Attachments

• WP_20160904_001.jpg
    WP_20160904_001.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 522
Physics news on Phys.org
Trying to decipher your handwriting:
Q1. Picture on right [there are six diagrams on the right, all too fuzzy to read the labels - which one?] represents diamagnetism effect when we apply a magnetic field [the 3rd and 4th from the top show a ##\vec B## ... I think] [?] shows orbiting electron around a nucleus [the 3rd and 4th ones seem to show a particle orbiting a point labelled O - the 3rd has negative spin and the 4th positive by the right-hand rule].
(a) Is it the only contribution for diamagnetism
(b) Does spin too contribute to the diamagnetism. [Is?] spin contribution less.
(c) Does both orbiting and spin contribute?
(d) What change is there in...
... I'll stop there: this looks like the sort of thing that gets set for homework.
The text you got the pictures from should explain the diagrams and the model being used. If not, then you need to find a reference which does.
There are a number of models possible depending on your education level and what you hope to achieve.

Simon Bridge said:
Trying to decipher your handwriting

Why?

If it's not worth the OP's time to type in a clear message, why is it our responsibility to try and decipher his chicken scratch? How much less valuable is our time?

Thank You Simon Bridge for giving your valuable time to decode my handwriting.I will present my questions again.
Also thanks Vanadium -50.Your time definitely is highly valuable.

Related to Diamagnetism Mechanism: Questions Answered

1. What is diamagnetism and how does it work?

Diamagnetism is a property of certain materials where they produce a weak magnetic field in the opposite direction of an applied magnetic field. This is due to the alignment of electron orbits in the material, which creates a small current in the opposite direction of the applied field.

2. What is the difference between diamagnetism and paramagnetism?

Diamagnetism occurs in all materials and is a weak effect, while paramagnetism only occurs in certain materials and is a stronger effect. In diamagnetism, the electrons align in the opposite direction of the applied magnetic field, while in paramagnetism, the electrons align in the same direction as the applied field.

3. Can all materials exhibit diamagnetism?

Yes, all materials exhibit some level of diamagnetism. However, in most materials, the effect is very weak and is often overshadowed by other types of magnetism such as paramagnetism or ferromagnetism.

4. What are some examples of diamagnetic materials?

Some common examples of diamagnetic materials include water, wood, copper, gold, and silver. These materials exhibit weak diamagnetism, but other types of magnetism may also be present in these materials.

5. How is diamagnetism used in technology?

Diamagnetism is used in various technologies, such as magnetic levitation, where a strong magnetic field is used to lift and suspend a diamagnetic material. It is also used in the medical field for magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), where the diamagnetic properties of tissues are utilized to create detailed images of the body.