Analyzing X^Y+Y^X=100: How to Solve Integer Equation

• Thread starter himanshu121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analytical
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical equation and the search for its solutions, emphasizing the use of symmetry and logarithmic values to find solutions quickly. It also considers practical limitations and potential follow-up questions regarding the equation.
himanshu121
How one can find the solution to [tex]x^y+y^x=100[/tex] Where x,y belong to integers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I can't answer how one would solve such an equation in general!

However, as soon as I saw that "100" on the right side of the equation, I thought "64+ 36= 82+ 62= 100".
(Think 3-4-5 right triangle.)

Hmmm, 8= 23 so 82= (23)2= 26.

Sure enough, 26+ 62= 100.

x= 2, y= 6 is a solution.

I got another solution apart from(2,6)
It can also be (x=1,y=99)

I believe there is no other way than churning the combination of numbers out of the mind

Also, we got 1 equation and two variables

Well, let's take a quick look:

Clearly [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex] must be greater than or equal to zero. If one is less than zero, there is a fractional part, if both are less than zero, the sum is on the interval [tex](-2,0)[/tex].

So, we have:
[tex]x=0[/tex] no solution.
[tex]x = 1 \rightarrow y=99[/tex]
[tex]x = 2 \rightarrow y=6[/tex] (Thanks Halls)
[tex]x = 3[/tex] no solution.
Since [tex]x=3[/tex] we have [tex]x^y \in {1,3,9,27,81}[/tex] but none of those work since the complements mod 100 are not powers of the appropriate exponents.
[tex]x = 4[tex] no solution.
[tex]x = 5[tex] no solution.
[tex]x = 6 \rightarrow y=2[/tex]
Now, since [tex]y[/tex] is monotone decreasing in the next solution, [tex]y\leq1[/tex] so it's
[tex]x=99 \rightarrpw y=1[/tex]
since the solutions are symetric.

Which gives you a complete list of solutions in the integers:
(1,99),(2,6),(6,2),(99,1)

Okay from reply of Halls and NateTG? I believe there is no general way

Anyway thanks Guys for using the symmetry and Mind

I do found the two solutions i was rather looking for framing the answers, NateTG's Explanation is good

Originally posted by himanshu121
Okay from reply of Halls and NateTG? I believe there is no general way.

Considering that you really only have to check about [tex]log n[/tex] values for [tex]x^y+y^x=n[/tex] it's really not so bad.

Consider that if [tex]x=y[/tex] then you have
[tex]2x^x=n[tex]
so
[tex]x ln x = ln \frac{n}{2}[/tex]

So, you'd really only have to check up to [tex]x=8[/tex] or so for [tex]n=1000000[/tex]

Unless n is really big (so big that it's not practical to store it on a computer) that approach will give you all possible solutions fairily quickly.

Unless you've got something very specific in mind, that's already a pretty good solution.

I suppose it would be good if you want to ask questions like:
Are there n with arbitrarily many solutions?
or something similar.

1. What is the equation "X^Y+Y^X=100" trying to solve?

The equation is trying to solve for the values of X and Y that satisfy the equation and make it equal to 100.

2. Is this equation solvable?

Yes, it is solvable. However, there may be multiple solutions for X and Y.

3. What approach should I take to solve this equation?

One approach is to rewrite the equation in terms of one variable, such as X, and use algebraic manipulation to solve for that variable.

4. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, a graphing calculator can be used to visualize the equation and find possible solutions. However, it may not provide exact solutions and should be used in conjunction with algebraic methods.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving this equation?

Yes, special cases such as when X or Y equals 0, or when X and Y are equal, should be considered and may have different solutions.