Chemistry Meets A.I: What Can Chemists Contribute to AI?

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, chemists can offer and contribute a lot to the field of A.I (artificial intelligence). While computer science is responsible for designing the AI, chemists play a crucial role in making computers smaller and faster through their work in analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, physics, and materials science. Additionally, understanding how biological systems work can help improve AI systems and chemists and biologists can work together to achieve this. Material research and synthesis, as well as biochemical modeling of natural processes, are important areas where chemists can contribute. Superconductor technology, for example, has greatly improved the speed and computational capabilities of VLSI chips. Overall, chemistry and biology have a lot to offer to the field of A.I.
Entropia
What do chemists have to offer/contribute to the field of A.I (artificial intelligence)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Entropia
What do chemists have to offer/contribute to the field of A.I (artificial intelligence)?

Well actually designing the AI will be up to the computer science, but the people who are making computers smaller and faster are analytical chemists, physical chemists, physicists, and other materials scientists. There's a lot of really cool science going on to make smaller and smaller circuitry.

Nice Question! I am not a Chemist! But a CSE student!

From my part, I think chemist can help a lot in the field of A.I.

Firstly, A.I. based on intellegence we say Expert Systems! But where do these systems come from? Of course from our Daily Life intellegent creatures and their activities!

But look at todays Honda made Asimo or any other intellegent Robots, do they even work like a simple insect that is climbing now in your wall? No, as because these system are not as perfect as Biological system!

So, from my part (It's generally my vision) that if we know how the Biological system is working...with the help of Chemists and Biologits, these systems can go beyond todays toys

Does anybody know of any chemists are are contributing to the field of A.I?

Does anybody know of any chemists are are contributing to the field of A.I?

Sorry! Don't know about that...but you will find the inverse: many A.I. experts are contributing in the field of Chemistry :)

Interesting question(s). Answer? A LOT. While i cannot cite specific research, I can comment on CS issues, solutions, and trends.

As far as Computer Engineering goes, one of the first limitations run across with computational capacity was circuit length and ... believe it or not... the speed of light. Best I know, these still remain logical obstacles as far as "speeding up" circuitry, even insofar as parallel computation.

Superconductor technology evolved out of the study of new materials was a huge impact on the industry allowing for the creation of VLSI chips having functionality that had previously to be "spread out" across wires and boards... resulting in systems with much higher/faster computational capability.

Soooooo, material research/synthesis, as well as biochemical modeling of natural (e.g. neuronal) processes are extremely important. (AI work in Neural Networks already attempts to model the brain/learning, but the overall neurochemical complexity of the human brain still remains beyond what is "modeled" today.)

ASIDE: I recall a snippet (from European daily, bonafide newspaper TWO YEARS AGO, that indicated the possibility of using "gaseous memory" in computers with a considerable impact on speed and volume... i don't know what happened to that... i will look into it and post again if relevant.

In summary, I believe Chemistry, along with Biology, has a lot to contribute. So much so it scares me at times.

To dig deeper, try googling 'chemistry contributions "artificial intelligence" materials research' - I only glanced at a few result pages - from what I saw, there may be interesting stuff out there already.

hope someone got something out of that

firefly

edited/failed to fix url for google results. use keywords instead.

Last edited:

1. How can chemistry and AI work together?

Chemistry and AI can work together in a variety of ways. One major area is in the development of new materials and drugs. AI can help predict the properties and behavior of different molecules, allowing chemists to more efficiently design and synthesize new compounds. Additionally, AI can analyze large amounts of data from experiments and simulations, providing insights that can inform the design of new experiments.

2. What are some examples of chemists using AI?

There are many examples of chemists using AI in their research. Some examples include using machine learning algorithms to predict chemical reactions, using AI to analyze and interpret spectroscopic data, and using AI to design new catalysts for chemical reactions. AI is also being used to automate laboratory processes and improve the efficiency of drug discovery.

3. Can AI replace human chemists?

No, AI cannot replace human chemists. While AI can assist in many aspects of chemistry research, it cannot replace the creativity and critical thinking skills of human chemists. AI is a tool that can help chemists in their work, but it cannot replicate the experience and intuition of a skilled chemist.

4. What are the benefits of using AI in chemistry?

The use of AI in chemistry has numerous benefits. It can significantly speed up the process of designing and synthesizing new compounds, reduce the cost of experiments, and provide insights that may not be apparent through traditional methods. AI can also help identify new patterns and relationships in data, leading to new discoveries and innovations.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the use of AI in chemistry?

There are some ethical concerns surrounding the use of AI in chemistry, as with any emerging technology. These concerns include the potential for biased or discriminatory algorithms, the security and privacy of sensitive data used in AI models, and the potential for AI to be used for malicious purposes. It is important for chemists and AI developers to consider these ethical implications and work towards responsible and ethical use of AI in chemistry.