Must-Read Books for Beginners in Modern Theoretical Physics

• Thread starter JazzyJAC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, you should start with books like Shankar or Sakurai to get a basic understanding of quantum mechanics, and then should move on to books like Greiner and Reinhardt for more detailed information about quantum field theory. After that, you should read books about string theory, general relativity, and conformal field theory.
JazzyJAC
I am new to most all of the concepts in modern theoretical physics. What are the must read books to start off with to develop a basic understanding of the basic principles of modern theoretical physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by JazzyJAC
I am new to most all of the concepts in modern theoretical physics. What are the must read books to start off with to develop a basic understanding of the basic principles of modern theoretical physics.

Do you have any physics background at all?

I have my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell and have taken three semesters of Physics. I have a good knowledge up to the subject of basic quantum physics.

I have my bachelors in Mechanical Engineering from Cornell and have taken three semesters of Physics. I have a good knowledge up to the subject of basic quantum physics.

you say basic quantum mechanics. i m not sure how basic is basic, but before you go on to more theoretical stuff, you should be feeling pretty comfortable with a book like Shankar or Sakurai.

and if you know quantum mechanics, your next step is quantum field theory, and general relativity.

for an easier book in quantum field theory, i suggest Greiner and Reinhardt. for a slightly more advanced book but still very well suited to self study, i suggest this new book by Zee. i read a few chapters in a bookstore, and it was kind of nifty.

Ryder is a serious book, and Weinberg is the bible.

for GR, i think a nice easier book is Hartle, but the nicest book available is probably Wald.

then after that, i guess you want to start on string theory, since you posted in this string theory forum. well i would suggest getting both Green Schwarz and Witten, and Polchinski. GSW is easier to read (in my opinion), but polchinski is more modern. Clifford Johnson has a great book on D-branes. you might also like to have a suppliment a book on conformal field theory. for that, i suggest Di Francesco.

after that, there aren t really many more textbooks, you should just do all your reading on the archiv.

by the way, i have made no mention of the math you have to know to learn all that physics. how much math do you know?

lethe!
As an Engineering Student I think he knows much math ;)

Originally posted by Moni
lethe!
As an Engineering Student I think he knows much math ;)

really? i thought engineers didn t go much passed calc... maybe diff eqs, tops...

Thanks a lot lethe, that should give me a good start. As for math, you are correct, we topped out at basic diff eq., linear algebra. Most of the math I see used in the String/Quantum stuff literally looks like greek to me:smile: .

Thanks a lot lethe, that should give me a good start. As for math, you are correct, we topped out at basic diff eq., linear algebra. Most of the math I see used in the String/Quantum stuff literally looks like greek to me:smile: .

another book for string theory: barton zwiebach. his book isn t available yet, it was supposed to be published and available by january this year, but i think it has been delayed a few months. but i m sure it will be out any time now. it is a book of string theory for undergrads, and it has a very basic intro to a lot of the concepts of string theory. but not suited for use if you want to learn the modern aspects of string theory (D-branes, aDS/CFT, etc)

Originally posted by lethe
really? i thought engineers didn t go much passed calc... maybe diff eqs, tops...

Ha..ha.. Yes! you are correct! But ... I am also an engineering student but in our course we've completed Complex variables, Legendre, Bessel functions, Laplace, Z-transform, Fourier Series, Probability Distributions and Queuing theory, Graph Theory etc. I am not sure you'll call them Higher math or not but I can tell you that I am not that expert :wink:

Yes i know i have to do a lots of diff equation as an Engineer in Electronics.

But nothing can withold me from reading maths & physics

What are the must-read books for beginners in modern theoretical physics?

The must-read books for beginners in modern theoretical physics include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind, "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, and "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman.

Why are these books considered essential for beginners in modern theoretical physics?

These books are considered essential because they provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to key concepts in modern theoretical physics. They are written in a way that is easy to understand for beginners and cover a wide range of topics, from quantum mechanics to general relativity.

What makes these books stand out from other textbooks on theoretical physics?

These books stand out because they are not just textbooks, but also narratives that tell the story of how our understanding of the universe has evolved. They also use real-world examples and analogies to make complex concepts easier to grasp.

Are these books suitable for self-study or do they require a background in mathematics and physics?

While a basic understanding of mathematics and physics is helpful, these books are designed to be accessible to anyone with an interest in modern theoretical physics. They are suitable for self-study and can serve as a great starting point for those who want to delve deeper into the subject.

Can these books be used as a substitute for a formal education in theoretical physics?

While these books provide a solid foundation in modern theoretical physics, they cannot be used as a substitute for a formal education. They are meant to supplement and enhance one's understanding of the subject, but cannot replace the in-depth knowledge and experience gained through a formal education.