Di/dt for Growth and Decay in LR Circuit

In summary: LR circuit breaks, but it's value for growth and decay in an LR circuit is the same--(i0R/L)e-tR/L. This means that when the switch connecting the inductor to the battery is closed, the current flow will be very small and you will see an arc. If you open the switch, the current will shoot up very high and the arc will disappear.
aim1732
Why is the emf induced in an inductor much larger when the switch connecting it to a battery is closed than when the switch is opened? Somewhere in a text I had read that di/dt is very large when an LR circuit breaks but then its value for growth and decay in an LR circuit is same---(i0R/L)e-tR/L with a corresponding plus and minus sign. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, when you only the switch, the current got from I to 0 in very very short time. so

[tex]\frac{dI}{dt}\rightarrow -\infty[/tex]

That's why you can see arc in a lot of case on the contact of the switch. It can reach KV range.

Look at the equation, when the switch open, R is approach infinity, this mean decade is very fast even the voltage shoot up very high. I did design to optimize the decade time balance with limit overshoot by putting a resistor in parallel with the electro magnet ( inductor ) to achief low enough overshoot voltage but still fast enough decay time. If you parallel too small a resistor, the overshoot will be smaller, but the decay time would increase. When your switch go from open to close, the parallel resistor is not in the picture because it is parallel to the coil. The resistor in the equation is really the internal impedance of the voltage that drive the coil. So it is totally different.

Last edited:
Here in thumbnail is a simulation of a pre-1970 automobile ignition circuit. The switch opens at 2ms and 6 ms. It closes at 0, 4, and 8 ms. Note the 25-kV pulses at 2 ms and 6 ms, and the barely visible pulses at 0, 4, and 8 ms. Typically, the switch ("points") and capacitor ("condenser") are inside the distributor. The L/R time constant applies only when the points are closed. The LC time constant applies when the points open.
Working on classic automobile ignition circuits like this one is very educational, especially if you forget to turn off the ignition switch when you pull off the distributor cap and adjust the point gap.

Bob S

Attachments

• Ignition_ckt4.jpg
    Ignition_ckt4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 567

Related to Di/dt for Growth and Decay in LR Circuit

What is Di/dt for Growth and Decay in LR Circuit?

Di/dt stands for the rate of change of current with time in an LR circuit. It is a measure of how quickly the current is increasing or decreasing in the circuit.

What factors affect Di/dt in an LR Circuit?

The value of the inductance (L) and the resistance (R) in the circuit are the main factors that affect Di/dt. A higher inductance or lower resistance will result in a slower rate of change of current.

How is Di/dt calculated in an LR circuit?

Di/dt can be calculated using the formula Di/dt = -R/L * I, where R is the resistance, L is the inductance, and I is the current in the circuit. This formula is derived from Ohm's law and the equation for the voltage across an inductor.

What is the significance of Di/dt in an LR Circuit?

Di/dt is important because it determines the rate at which the current is changing in the circuit. This can affect the overall behavior of the circuit, such as the time it takes for the current to reach a steady state or the amplitude of the current oscillations.

How is Di/dt used in practical applications?

In practical applications, Di/dt is used to analyze and design LR circuits, such as in power supplies, electronic filters, and motor control circuits. It helps engineers understand the behavior of the circuit and make adjustments to optimize its performance.