DFT and phase stabily computation

In summary: AllisonIn summary, Allison advises Eric to use established DFT codes like Quantum ESPRESSO or VASP for his calculations and suggests using a hybrid functional or parallel computing for efficiency. She also mentions two methods for calculating the Gibbs free energy as a function of temperature - the quasi-harmonic approximation and thermodynamic integration.
aihaike
Dear all,

I'm new in the DFT word and I wish to calculate as a practice the [tex]\alpha[/tex]/[tex]\beta[/tex] quartz phase transition as function of temperature.
For each phases I imaged preforming CPMD simulation for a given temperature range and then calculate the phonon DOS. From the later I should be able to get the free energies.
So I wonder whether there is a "better" or more efficient way the get the Gibbs free energy as function of temperature?
My other issue is about which code to use. I had a look to abinit, bigdft, quantum-espresso and siesta. The point is it require lot of time to actually get use to each of them and then choice the best for you. So, I'd like to have your opening.
There are so many issues to manage (method, codes) that I'm getting stuck.
Thanks in advance.

Eric.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Eric,

Welcome to the world of DFT! Calculating the \alpha/\beta quartz phase transition can be a challenging and time-consuming task, but with the right approach and tools, you can get accurate results. Firstly, I would recommend using a well-established DFT code such as Quantum ESPRESSO or VASP for your calculations. These codes have been extensively tested and have a large user base, making it easier for you to find support and resources. Additionally, they offer a wide range of methods and functionals to choose from, giving you more flexibility in your calculations.

As for efficiency, there are a few things you can do to speed up your calculations. One approach is to use a hybrid functional, such as HSE06, which combines the accuracy of a DFT calculation with the speed of a semi-empirical method. Another option is to use parallel computing, which can significantly reduce the computation time for your simulations.

In terms of calculating the Gibbs free energy as a function of temperature, there are a few methods you can use. One common approach is to use the quasi-harmonic approximation, where you calculate the phonon DOS at different temperatures and then use the Debye model to calculate the free energy. Another option is to use thermodynamic integration, where you calculate the free energy difference between the two phases at different temperatures and then use a thermodynamic cycle to get the Gibbs free energy.

I hope this helps you in your research. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to DFT and phase stabily computation

1. What is DFT and how is it used in scientific computations?

DFT, or Density Functional Theory, is a computational method used in quantum mechanics to study the electronic structure of atoms, molecules, and solids. It is based on the principle that the total energy of a system can be determined by the electronic density rather than the wavefunction. DFT is used in a variety of scientific fields, including materials science, chemistry, and physics, to predict the properties and behavior of materials and molecules.

2. What is the importance of phase stability computation in DFT?

Phase stability computation is crucial in DFT as it allows us to determine the most energetically favorable state of a material. By calculating the energy of different phases, we can predict the conditions under which a material will transform from one phase to another. This information is essential for understanding the properties and behavior of materials, and it can also aid in the design and optimization of new materials.

3. What factors influence the accuracy of DFT calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of DFT calculations, including the choice of exchange-correlation functional, the basis set, and the treatment of spin. In addition, the size and shape of the system being studied, as well as the convergence criteria used, can also impact the accuracy of the results. It is important to carefully consider and optimize these factors to obtain reliable and accurate DFT results.

4. How is DFT used in materials science and engineering?

DFT is widely used in materials science and engineering to study the electronic, structural, and mechanical properties of materials. It can be used to predict the stability and phase transitions of materials, as well as their electronic band structures, optical properties, and reaction energies. DFT calculations can also aid in the design and discovery of new materials with desired properties for specific applications.

5. What are some limitations of DFT calculations?

Although DFT is a powerful and widely used method, it does have some limitations. One major limitation is that it is an approximate method and may not accurately capture the effects of strong correlations and highly excited states. DFT also assumes that the electronic density is homogeneous, which may not always be valid for systems with large spatial variations in density. Additionally, DFT calculations can be computationally expensive and may require significant computational resources for larger and more complex systems.