Dew Point Calculation and Cloud Formation in Mountain Wind Flow

In summary, the question is asking about the temperatures and dew point temperatures at various points in a scenario where strong winds force air over mountains and any condensed moisture falls as precipitation. The elevations of the points are given and the question also asks where clouds are formed and how the answer would change if there was no valley. The equations for the dry adiabatic lapse rate, moist adiabatic lapse rate, and dew point lapse rate are also provided.
Sunshin3
Dew point Calculation-Please help me!

Homework Statement

Consider a strong wind aloft that forces air to flow over the mountains from A to E, as in the diagram below. Assume the surface temperature at A is 21 degrees C and the dew point temperature is 5 degrees C; and that any moisture that condenses out of the air falls as precipitation and is left behind. The elevations are: A – 0 m; B – 3000 m; C – 1000 m; D – 5000 m; E – 500 m.

(i) What are the temperatures and dew point temperatures at B, C, D and E?
(ii) Identify where clouds are formed (hint: this is important to part (i).
(iii) How would your answer for E be different if there was no valley at C; that is, if the air flowed upward all the way from A to D?

Homework Equations

DALR = 10.0 degrees C/km (Dry adiabatic lapse rate)
MADR = 6.0 degrees C/km (Moist adiabatic lapse rate)
DWLR = 2.0 degrees C/km (Dew point lapse rate)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really DOnt know how to start this question, i think the clouds are formed on the left side of the moutain.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part (iii) i think the answer would be the same because the temperature and dew point would still decrease with elevation.

Related to Dew Point Calculation and Cloud Formation in Mountain Wind Flow

1. What is dew point and why is it important?

The dew point is the temperature at which the air becomes saturated with water vapor, causing water droplets to form. It is important because it helps us understand the amount of moisture in the air, which can affect weather patterns and human comfort.

2. How is dew point calculated?

Dew point is calculated by using the temperature and relative humidity of the air. There are various formulas and equations used to calculate it, but the most common one is the Magnus equation.

3. Why is dew point calculation necessary?

Dew point calculation is necessary because it helps us determine the amount of water vapor present in the air. This information is important for activities such as agriculture, weather forecasting, and HVAC systems.

4. Can dew point change throughout the day?

Yes, dew point can change throughout the day as temperature and humidity levels fluctuate. It is typically higher in the morning and lower in the afternoon as the air warms up and can hold more moisture.

5. How does dew point affect human comfort?

Dew point can affect human comfort by making the air feel more humid and sticky. Higher dew points can also make it more difficult for our bodies to cool down through sweat evaporation, leading to discomfort and potential health risks in extreme cases.