Device to check tension in wire ropes

In summary, you are trying to adjust the tension in 3 wire ropes to have the same tension. The process is iterative and may not be accurate. You need a device to measure the tension in each wire rope. If you are using an elevator, each wire rope must be connected to the frame independently.
caslor
Hi

i have 3 wire ropes that holding a weight and i want to have the same tension in all of them.

there are some devices all ready in the market bat costs a lot of money.. 500 dollars/euro and more

like this onei was thinking to build my own device..
like this one :

Untitled2.jpg

screw with my Torque wrench until a specific distance in wire rope curve...
after that i move the device to the other wire rope and torgue it until i have the same distance/curve
see how much torque needed to have the same curve and adjust the tension of the wire rope...

what do you think?
that will work?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You started by saying you had 3 wire ropes. Are they the same length, and can they be adjusted independently? If the holding device is such that tightening one rope causes a slack in the others, then the process is going to be more iterative. I didn't find your explanation clear enough.Are you applying the torque wrench to the rope or to the screw in your metallic device? When you speak of 'the other rope', which of the two remaining ropes are you speaking about? When you say 'distance/curve' do you mean for the rope or for the device? Have you considered the possibility of measuring the natural frequency of vibration? Whatever method you adopt, you need to think about the tolerances and accuracy of what you are doing. On the device, how will you measure lateral movement, and with what possible error (I prefer the word 'variation')?

Thanks for the reply my friend..

the 3 wire ropes have the same length
they can be adjusted independently
i am going to apply the torque wrench to the screw in my metallic device
When i speak about the other ropes... i refer to the other 2 ropes...

i know that accuracy will not be so good... but until know i was doing that by hand... checked witch rope is more tightened than the others..

how long are your ropes? Long ones can have their tension assessed by the amount of extension. You didn't say if you had considered period of vibration, which you might achieve by counting with a stop watch of the period is long enough. A sketch of your system would help a fuller understanding.

Hi my Friend..

the ropes are not standar in length .. depends from the building... is elevator ropes...here is the system

sistima.jpg
having the same tension all ropes is critical for the life of the pulley that moves them.. that's why i want to make them having the same tension as more accurate i can

Thanks in Advance for the interesting

Here is a device we use in the laboratory to get three equal forces. In the figure, the verticals are cables and the horizontals are beams. Do you get it?

Attachments

• 3 forces from 1.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 410
Yes i understand but i can't use this kind of connection in the elevators...

In Elevators/lifts hoisting have to made in a certain way that iso describes .
each wire rope should be connect to the frame of the car independent from the other wire ropes.. for safety

so that's is why i need a device to check the wire ropes tension... each wire rope has at the end a system with a big screw to connect them to the chassis...

so with the screw you can tight or loosen it in order to have the right tension..

(Thread moved to ME for more views)

Since this is a safety significant application, I would highly recommend you look into the laws governing safety requirements on elevator cables. I doubt a hodge-podged design like you're describing would be preferrable to a certified device designed for use on elevator cables specifically.

In addition, that tension measuring device you found is cheap compared to what it will cost your company to pay you to re-invent the wheel. Torque is a notoriously error-prone method for measuring bolt preload, which is why the device you found uses a load cell. Just suck it up and buy the thing.

Related to Device to check tension in wire ropes

1. How does a device check tension in wire ropes?

The device uses a load cell or strain gauge to measure the force or strain on the wire rope. This information is then converted into a tension reading using mathematical equations and displayed on a digital screen.

2. Why is it important to regularly check the tension in wire ropes?

Proper tension in wire ropes is crucial for safety and efficiency. Too little tension can cause the wire rope to become loose and potentially break, while too much tension can put excessive strain on the rope and its attachments. Regular checks and adjustments can prevent accidents and extend the lifespan of the wire rope.

3. How accurate is the tension measurement from a device?

The accuracy of the measurement depends on the quality of the device and its calibration. Most devices have an accuracy of +/- 1-2%, which is sufficient for most applications. It is important to regularly calibrate the device to ensure accurate readings.

4. Can a device be used for all types of wire ropes?

Most devices can be used for a variety of wire ropes, as long as the size and material of the rope fall within the device's measurement range. However, specialized devices may be needed for certain types of wire ropes, such as those used in high-temperature or corrosive environments.

5. How often should the tension in wire ropes be checked?

The frequency of checks depends on the specific application and the manufacturer's recommendations. In general, it is recommended to check the tension at least once a month and before and after any significant changes to the load or operating conditions. However, if the wire rope is used in a high-stress environment, more frequent checks may be necessary.