Development of Clausius Inequality

In summary: The problem is that in the figure it is not clear what the net work δWsys is supposed to be.In summary, the textbook author assumes a closed system connected to a thermal energy reservoir at a constant thermodynamic temperature of TR through a reversible cyclic device. The cyclic device receives heat δQR from the reservoir and supplies heat δQ to the system whose temperature at that part of the boundary is T (a variable) while producing work δWrev. The system produces work δWsys as a result of this heat transfer. However, the statement "the system undergoes a cycle while the cyclic device undergoes an integral number of cycles" seems very confusing. Can somebody come up with
Soumalya
I am facing some doubts trying to understand the illustration my textbook has adopted for the development of the Clausius inequality for thermodynamic cycles.I have attached an image of the content from my textbook.

As one could see the author has assumed a closed system connected to a thermal energy reservoir at a constant thermodynamic temperature of TR through a reversible cyclic device.The cyclic device receives heat δQR from the reservoir and supplies heat δQ to the system whose temperature at that part of the boundary is T (a variable) while producing work δWrev.The system produces work δWsys as a result of this heat transfer.

In the course of analysis he again assumes, "We now let the system undergo a cycle while the cyclic device undergoes an integral number of cycles."This implies that he is assuming the closed system is undergoing a cycle receiving heat δQ and producing a net amount of work δWsys without rejecting any heat.This is an impractical assumption itself.From the arrangement as shown the system can only produce work in a process absorbing heat δQ and producing a net work of δWsys and not produce work in a continuous cycle.To undergo a cycle it must reject some heat which by assumption is only possible for the given arrangement if the direction of δQ is reversed.Again doing so would require the direction of operation of the reversible cyclic device to be reversed and thus for a cycle of the system to be accomplished, the reversible cyclic device must be reversed.

Thus the statement "the system undergoes a cycle while the cyclic device undergoes an integral number of cycles" seems very confusing.

Can somebody come up with an explanation behind it?

Attachments

• Entropy.jpg
    Entropy.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 483
Physics news on Phys.org
Soumalya said:
This implies that he is assuming the closed system is undergoing a cycle receiving heat δQ and producing a net amount of work δWsys without rejecting any heat.
No it does not imply that. In one cycle, ##\delta Q## goes in (as you deduce correctly) and, on the same footing, ##\delta W_{\rm rev} ## and ##\delta W_{\rm sys}## go out of the system. The system is NOT a closed system !

[edit] I see what you mean. In my fourth edition of Cengel it's figure 6-1. Let me check what is stated.

The claim is this can't work and W has to be 0 at best, so you got it all right. I think the didactics of this section are weak (at least in 4th ed. Perhaps YC improved on it, but your quandary demonstrates that it's still open for further improvement Close inspection of your foggy picture on my clean screen shows it is exactly the same text. Oh well, it teaches us to read on before jumping up and crying out) .

Last edited:
Likes Soumalya
BvU said:
No it does not imply that. In one cycle, ##\delta Q## goes in (as you deduce correctly) and, on the same footing, ##\delta W_{\rm rev} ## and ##\delta W_{\rm sys}## go out of the system. The system is NOT a closed system !

Yes your statement is correct if δQ is the differential heat transfer from the reservoir to the "combined system".In my text it is "δQR" at TR.
The combined system could be either an open or a closed system.Why cannot it be a closed system?

The Kelvin-Planck statement only enforces the restriction that for the combined system to operate in a cycle as assumed (δQR as the net heat transfer over a cycle and δWC=δWrev+δWsys as the net work transfer over a cycle) it can be δWC=δWrev+δWsys=0 at best consequently δQR=0 for δWC=0(for a reversible cycle undergone).Thus the net work and heat transfers for the combined cycle could be zero at best or could be negative (net work input δWC<0 and consequently δQR<0 as δWC=δQR for a cycle).The irreversible case implies there would be a net work input required in order to achieve the cycle and an equal amount of heat would be rejected to the reservoir.This is expected as some additional work is required to overcome irreversibilities in the cycle which is dissipated into a less useful form of energy(thermal energy).This case also implies complete conversion of work into heat which is perfectly possible.

This should be true regardless of the combined system being taken as a closed or an open system.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

My confusion is somewhat different and let me explain: As you could check in the picture it has been shown a case of reversible heat transfer through a reversible cyclic device to another "system" which has been been shown to be a closed system (a piston cylinder device).For integral number of cycles of the reversible cyclic device it is assumed that this closed system undergoes a cycle.The closed system is also assumed to develop "net" work δWsys over a cycle exchanging "net" heat δQ in the cycle which is impossible again by Kelvin-Planck statement as is true and similar for the combined system considered.Thus if the "closed system" is a reversible one it could be δWsys=0=δQ at best which means the system consumes exactly the same work as it develops in the cycle and it rejects exactly the same amount of heat as it absorbs over the cycle.The directions of δQ and δWsys must be opposite to that shown in the figure in case of an irreversible operation of the closed system to undergo a cycle.This means that for the combined cycle to occur if the closed system is an irreversible one both δQ and δWsys and necessarily δQR and δWrev should be in reverse directions as assumed in the figure so that "net" work and heat transfers for the combined cycle and the cycle undergone by the closed system are negative.

This is my depiction of the situation that I wish to verify with others.

Attachments

• Clausius Inequality.JPG
    Clausius Inequality.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:

Related to Development of Clausius Inequality

1. What is the Clausius Inequality?

The Clausius Inequality is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that states that the total change in entropy of a closed system must always be equal to or greater than zero. In other words, the entropy of a system can never decrease over time.

2. Who developed the Clausius Inequality?

The Clausius Inequality was developed by German physicist Rudolf Clausius in the mid-19th century. He is also known for his work on the concept of entropy and the second law of thermodynamics.

3. How is the Clausius Inequality derived?

The Clausius Inequality is derived from the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system must always increase or remain constant. Using mathematical equations and principles, Clausius was able to prove that this increase or constancy of entropy leads to the Clausius Inequality.

4. What is the significance of the Clausius Inequality?

The Clausius Inequality is a crucial concept in thermodynamics, as it helps us understand the behavior of energy and entropy in a closed system. It also allows us to make predictions about the direction of energy flow and the occurrence of spontaneous processes. Additionally, the Clausius Inequality is essential in the development of other thermodynamic principles and laws.

5. Can the Clausius Inequality be violated?

No, the Clausius Inequality is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics and has been experimentally and mathematically proven to hold true in all cases. It cannot be violated, as it is a consequence of the second law of thermodynamics, which is a well-established law in physics.